G: Gearbox (Twin) Final Drive Chain

stumpy lord

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks to everyone, I will talk to spares shop about availabity of 520 chain and sprockets tomorrow
Steve
whilst at the spares company get your self a G23/1 sprocket tab washer foe locking up your sprocket nut, this is the only way I have found of positively locking the sprocket nut

stumpy lord

Martin Conachey

Forum User
VOC Member
I recently as in 2 years ago, fitted a Long Life chain to my Rapide, its the German IWIS, it cost about 120 sterling. From the Chain Man
its the nearest chain to a shaft or belt drive you can get. In 2000 miles i have not needed to adjust it, just regular spray with Synthetic chain spray

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I recently as in 2 years ago, fitted a Long Life chain to my Rapide, its the German IWIS, it cost about 120 sterling. From the Chain Man
its the nearest chain to a shaft or belt drive you can get. In 2000 miles i have not needed to adjust it, just regular spray with Synthetic chain spray
I expect to get around 20,000 miles on a rear chain with an IWIS chain and a Scott chain oiler.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
530 EK NON O Ring chain is the narrowest chain you will get
Best solution 520 O ring chain with 1/4inch sprockets
For me the best solution was just to slap the inexpensive but very high quality 530 xring DID chain on a set of existing 530 sprockets.
The sprockets only had about 2000 miles on them and looked very good. The standard non-sealed chain had the same 2000 miles on and it was completely pooched.
The 530vx dropped right on with clearance everywhere.
Some bikes and some trans castings might be different. The casting is very thick in that area, one could whittle a teeny bit out, if needed, without harming anything.
Most old bikes have already had things happen that have trimmed things back in there.

Folks wonder why narrow sprockets wear out quickly. If they are made of low grade metal, that would be one cause.
Another is increased tooth pressure. The tooth pressure on a 520 sprocket is 50% greater than on a 530 sprocket carrying the same load.
Caterpillar learned all about sprocket tooth size, pressure, loading and wear rates back in the 1930s.
Norton did the same in the 1960s. They always used 1/4 sprockets and they lasted well.
Then in 1961 Doug Hele came up with the 650ss which nearly doubled the power output of the old Norton 600. He used the same 1/4" sprocket. Owners started to complain about rapid wear rates on the sprockets. The rear is integral to the brake drum and costly to replace. In 1963 Norton switched to 3/8 sprockets on their most powerful bikes. The rapid wear problem went away.

Glen

Last edited: