F: Frame F106 Comet frame tie

Clay

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi,

As you can see from the photo below my frame tie is not in the best shape. I'm going to take it to be welded up and ground to shape but does anyone have any good photos of what the broken section should look like so it can be reshaped correctly?

F106.jpg

vibrac

VOC Member
The most broken casting in the Vincent world. The Comet casting just continues round I have found many repaired with stud anchored Devcon, so long as not too much foot rest bolt is exposed (yours is borderline) it seems to be enough. Perhaps the breakages are another reason to fit folding footrests?
Incidentally rather than buying or cutting and welding has anyone who is lathe enabled tried fitting/modifying something like a folding Triumph style pillion footrest onto the brake pivot on the LH side footrest hanger and also fitting a LH on the RH side with a similar folding arrangement? It seems to me that with a suitable compact hinge it would shave off those precious few inches that we need in the garage and still retain that Vincent look.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hi,
As you can see from the photo below my frame tie is not in the best shape. I'm going to take it to be welded up and ground to shape but does anyone have any good photos of what the broken section should look like so it can be reshaped correctly?
Morning Clay. Don't copy the bit at the top, I used it in a "D" !! There is another photo of one on ebay. Cheers, Bill.
View attachment 17546
bikes 314.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

tatty500

Non-VOC Member
DSCF1026.JPG
DSCF1027.JPG
DSCF1027.JPG
DSCF1028.JPG
DSCF1029.JPG
Yes,
I fitted cheap folding rests to my tatty Comet. On the right side I didn't have a spare LH hanger and used a bicycle crank and adapter at the top. This was for two reasons.
1. My lathe is too small to swing the crank to turn the taper.
2. I wanted to experiment with the length so as to make the gear change less awkward. Her it is seen with an AJS lever.
Tatty

vibrac

VOC Member
Thanks Tatty I sat there thinking about that the other day.
It would seem as I have long believed that apart from new materials and manufacturing techniques there are no mods on a Vincent that have not been thought of before.
Now what I need is one spare LH Comet hanger and what I have as swaps are two Egli twin (shorter) hangers. any takers?
upload_2017-10-9_14-36-18.png

davidd

VOC Member
Clay,

I would have the welder fill in the area in solid and not worry about the relief. I did this on the racer and when it is painted nobody will spot it. It just has to surround the bolt. Put it in a warm place for a few days, like an oven with the light on, and if oil weeps out keep wiping it down until it stops weeping. It will be easier to weld and paint.

DSCN1203.JPG

David