Ethanol going to 10%... the rot sets in for good

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I think one very important issue with modern fuels is that they are designed realistically to run in what I call, "A sealed fuel system" That is, that the fuel tank, the pump, lines, and the injector system are more or less sealed off to the outside air.........This explains why when you remove the fuel cap off your car running on petrol/gas, there is a pressure release. This is a complete contrast to our older bikes and other older machinery, where the fuel system from the tank through to the carb's is an "open fuel system" so it can readily vent to the atmosphere. This causes a major problem, because all the "top end volatility" of the fuel readily dissipates to the outer air surrounding the machine. It is the main reason I advise everyone running these older machines to not use high octane fuel say over 95 or more, because the loss of the fuel properties seams far worse than for lower octane fuels. A higher octane fuel left in the tank for 3 months or more will smell like kerosene, and the engine can be very difficult to start let alone run ok afterward. E 85 fuel is definitely approaching a fuel not dissimilar to Methanol, and it must be used at roughly double the volume ratio to petrol, and as mentioned, it can and will readily absorb moisture from the atmosphere........again this problem is made far worse on our engines with an "Open fuel system".

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
The other funny thing is, Having been a Mechanic, Since the 60s, And always told NOT to flood a Warm/Hot engine !, I now find, That is what it needs !.
Even my old Comet, The other day, Which has always been good, Gave a few bangs, Then was as dead as -----,
Put the choke on, Mk2 Amal, fist kick !!, Very Strange, The Twins have needed this for some time, But it's hard for me to change my ways. Cheers Bill.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Your hi octane must be vastly different from what we have here. If I leave any ethanol contaminated fuel over a winter it can be a bearcat to start, but if I leave non ethanol hi octane in a tank. One of two kicks in the spring and off I go.

vibrac

VOC Member
I can see a lot of inginuity going into making the process of removing ethanol from petrol easy so far I have only used colored water to Check on the ethanol content
But I can see processing 20 litres at a time a possibility however away from home is a problem and the resultant mix needs it's octain improving.
All in all lets hope the world moves to air to fuel technology

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Yesterday I went to a local village on the Vincent to attend a small Rudge gathering and have a lovely pub lunch. I had considered taking the Rudge race bike in the van, but it was too nice a day to not go by motorcycle.

My Vincent had not been run since March, so I dragged it out of the garage the night before, pumped up the tyres, drained over 2 pints of oil out of the crankcase and topped up the oil tank with fresh oil.

The thing is I do not get all this talk about modern petrol going stale and absorbed water separating out?

Some remnants of petrol in the tank of my Rapide must of been purchased last year. The bike ran sweet as a nut and flew. I use Texaco Supreme Unleaded 97 octane.

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Yes Nulli, Ron and me don't mess about, Fingers crossed and give it a kick, :)
Cheers Bill.
Indeed Bill. I admit there was no life on Friday until the third kick and when there was it was my fault I did not catch it. It started first kick on Saturday to go to the event and likewise with audience to leave.

vibrac

VOC Member
Yesterday I went to a local village on the Vincent to attend a small Rudge gathering and have a lovely pub lunch. I had considered taking the Rudge race bike in the van, but it was too nice a day to not go by motorcycle.

My Vincent had not been run since March, so I dragged it out of the garage the night before, pumped up the tyres, drained over 2 pints of oil out of the crankcase and topped up the oil tank with fresh oil.

The thing is I do not get all this talk about modern petrol going stale and absorbed water separating out?

Some remnants of petrol in the tank of my Rapide must of been purchased last year. The bike ran sweet as a nut and flew. I use Texaco Supreme Unleaded 97 octane.
All depends on what petrol you put in and even then by what random events ethnol was added then after buying how much you had in the tank when it was put away, how warm or cold the storage was, how dry the air in the storage was etc etc. So many many variables any of which produces the bad effects of ethanol you were lucky to avoid. I sometimes think that the unleaded scare of a few decades ago was started on purpose to get this real 'scare' to be ignored. As to knowing what is actually in your petrol brand all we have to go on ( with the exception of esso) is by rumor and word of mouth, Its just parrt of the entire bio fuel shambles I have no doubt that sometimes none or way over the 5% of ethanol is added. and who do you think checks the content ? certainly not local weights and measures.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
My Comet is funny, The slide is always wet, Mk2 30mm Amal, On a rear head,
I would have thought if it was petrol, It would dry out ?.
Very strange. Cheers Bill.