ET164 with Alton - V3 Clutch Drag.

Oldhaven

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Well, I answered my question about putting the ET164 in with an Alton. I pulled the ring out today and it had a burned/blue spot where the Alton adapter had rubbed on it. There is very little room for adjustment of the Alton around its adapter for Vincents and with all the drive bits installed it is hard to see what clearances are. Using the 3 1/2 to 3 inch eccentric B adapter to get the proper sprocket clearance on the chain can allow the Alton to touch the ET164 ring , and it is hard to see or feel that. Leaving the ring out helps. Maybe with the later 3 inch cradle without the eccentric collar this is less of a problem. Against my own advice I put back in a PD15/1 steel sprocket, temporarily, until I can get a nylon PD15/3. Coventry seems to be out of nylon sprockets now so I will have to go out of country for another. I wanted to see if I had done any damage to the Alton, but it is fine and easily balances the coils and LED running lights at a leisurely pace. Another 20 mile ride today. The clutch is somewhat better after using it a bit and fine tuning the cable and ET27/2 adjuster. I still have trouble with neutral, but little or no drag at stops with the handlebar lever in. I still don't get what the difference is with the spares advertised "longer" G91/1 lever. This revision number was adopted many years ago to replace G91, according to the design change list I found , so if the design recently changed again somehow to help with multiplate clutches by putting its contact point farther down on the newer ET27/2 there was no revision change in part number. I may write Ian to see what this is about.

This was a far more relaxed ride than the first one, since I had sorted out some problems. I really had forgotten how nice a Vincent is on back two lane roads at an easy pace of 50 MPH. Of course I had also forgotten how embarrassing it is to stall at a stop sign and back up traffic while I try to get everything in the starting drill that I have just relearned set up to swing the lever. Especially when a cop is sitting there about 50 yards down the road. Another good day though. I even felt good enough about life to wax the tank.

Ron