• Welcome to the forum website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Online Forum Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this forum website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum website, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this forum website before, please CLICK HERE.

ET152 thickness.......

1660bob

Well Known and Active Forum Website User
VOC Member
Hi All, assembling my Shadow motor, I note that the rear head bracket bolt F47/3AS is pretty much at the end of the expansion slot in the UFM. There is little,if any, room left for it to "creep" as intended when the motor heats up.
My barrels are pretty much standard, in fact both muffs and heads have had a skim to true them, so the assembled columns should be a tad down if anything.
I am however, using super duper head washers (ET152) which are .125" thick as against the "standard" washers which are about .098". These thicker washers of course lift the head brackets accordingly, and place them further apart due to the "V" of the motor, pushing F47 back along the slot in the UFM.I think this is where the problem lies.I should point out that I only have the heads nipped down to 10ft lbs at present, but i cant see they will shift far when fully torqued down. Has anyone come across this problem using the thicker head washers? I don`t suppose F47 moves all that far when the motor heats up, but I would not like to think the whole affair was straining due to lack of expansion clearence, and stressing the UFM. Observations please.... This problem must occur when using compression plates to some extent?
I suppose I could just use the standard head washers (seem a bit puny)or file out the slot in the UFM for a little more clearence :eek:.What do you think? Cheers, Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 10yrs ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Photos from the 2022 North American Rally

Photos from the 2022 Annual Rally

Photos from the 2022 French Rally