Misc: Carburettors Engine stops when braking harder (carburetor caused)

Bernhard_Austria

Forum User
VOC Member
I would be happy if somebody could give me a hint.

I‘have a shadow with Amal Monoblocs.
If I break harder or stop more aggressively at the traffic lights, my engine stops.
It seems that’s a carburetor problem.

It‘s a series C with Monoblocs

Thanks Bernhard

Attachments

• 3B80A78C-DBC1-45FC-8DF7-D07268D9E9D7.jpeg
    3B80A78C-DBC1-45FC-8DF7-D07268D9E9D7.jpeg
    408.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 5D390900-6AFD-4DBA-9FC5-B4CCE5598A37.jpeg
    5D390900-6AFD-4DBA-9FC5-B4CCE5598A37.jpeg
    432.7 KB · Views: 32

Magnetoman

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I'm going to go out on a limb and speculate you have your fuel level a little too high. Normally, the fuel level should be even with the tit you see on your float bowl cover just under the "feet" of the 'MA' in 'AMAL', and is shown by the 'x' in the following diagram.

AmalMonobloc01.jpg

However, your carburetor is mounted at an angle of ~10°, so the level would be as shown in the next diagram.

AmalMonobloc02.jpg

As can be seen, if you set the level using the tit, it will be close to the metering end of the pilot screw. However, as the green line in the next diagram shows, if you set the fuel level a little too high it would be nearly past the metering end.

AmalMonobloc03.jpg

Stopping suddenly would push fuel to the front of the float chamber, temporarily raising level at the engine side of the chamber to where a puddle could form in the chamber above the needle. If this is the case, the mixture no longer would be metered and thus the idle mixture would be enriched.

AmalMonobloc04.jpg

In normal operation a difference in air pressure slowly "sucks" fuel past the end of the needle, but a rapid stop would force the fuel past the needle faster than an air pressure difference would. If your idle is set at 600 rpm = 10 revolutions/sec., each cylinder takes in a tiny amount of fuel five times/sec., so not much fuel has to be in that chamber for the idle mixture to stay excessively rich for the few seconds it takes to kill the engine.

But, as I said, this is speculation based on a fragment of information, so it could be completely wrong in your case.

LoneStar

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Series D bikes used Monoblocs, with different manifolds to accommodate flange vs. clip mounting. As best I know they don't typically have this issue. Not sure at what angle the Series D manifolds set the carbs; are you using these or equivalents giving the same tilt?

Bernhard_Austria

Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Magnetoman,
Thank you for the great preparation. It sounds like a realistic theory.

I will try to lower the level a bit. (I had already lowered it to the X).

The flanges were still made by my father and are not original parts. The floats and seals were replaced during the restoration. I will keep you informed, thank you very much

Bernhard_Austria

Forum User
VOC Member
Levels were lowered now a little bit. After the Test run I had the same issue.
then I did 2 steps back to the electrical system. I noticed that there was a bit of water inside the Trispark ignition system. I Drilled a hole into the cover for draining.
Not 100% sure if it was the problem, but now no problems.
Let‘s see.

Attachments

• 527D8D39-CEA9-4D17-8783-A5924923DD21.jpeg
    527D8D39-CEA9-4D17-8783-A5924923DD21.jpeg
    205.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 6821FBB5-B4C7-4B79-847B-96A0911D3EF2.jpeg
    6821FBB5-B4C7-4B79-847B-96A0911D3EF2.jpeg
    239.5 KB · Views: 15