Misc: Electric Starters Electric Starter Recommendations

Barry Bristol

Forum User
VOC Member
Hi, I am looking to get an electric start for my 1954 Rapide and looking for recommendations and advice?
What types are available, installation ease etc?
Any advice would be appreciated
Thanks
Geoff did you get anywhere with the electric start? I have a 1955 rapide but cant even get an answer from Conway or Francois Grosset. Must be good to be so busy?

CarlHungness

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Far as I know the only kit on the market is the one from Francois Grosset and he has sold (probably hundreds) of them. They are proven, nearly trouble free unless one has a kick-back which can result in knackering the sprag clutch, a very expensive replacement. Others in the UK particularly have installed electric starters successfully, but I am not familiar with any other kits being advertised. It is surprising you haven't heard back fro the supplies mentioned.

Geoff12

Forum User
VOC Member
Geoff did you get anywhere with the electric start? I have a 1955 rapide but cant even get an answer from Conway or Francois Grosset. Must be good to be so busy?
Hi Barry, we went for a Francois Grosset electric start, good reputation and plenty of information on installation etc. We did in fact purchase two, as was going to install one on our Black Shadow as well, but have now decided to keep it original. Thus we have a complete kit, still in its original packaging which we will be selling. If you are interested, contact us on c.palmer440@ntlworld.com

Barry Bristol

Forum User
VOC Member
Far as I know the only kit on the market is the one from Francois Grosset and he has sold (probably hundreds) of them. They are proven, nearly trouble free unless one has a kick-back which can result in knackering the sprag clutch, a very expensive replacement. Others in the UK particularly have installed electric starters successfully, but I am not familiar with any other kits being advertised. It is surprising you haven't heard back fro the supplies mentioned.
Carl thank you for replying and the information. It seems like I have to be patient and just keep trying these suppliers. Its the way of the the world now I guess!

Barry Bristol

Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Barry, we went for a Francois Grosset electric start, good reputation and plenty of information on installation etc. We did in fact purchase two, as was going to install one on our Black Shadow as well, but have now decided to keep it original. Thus we have a complete kit, still in its original packaging which we will be selling. If you are interested, contact us on c.palmer440@ntlworld.com
Hi Geoff, thanks for your reply. Yes I would be interested in your spare unit. Although I am reasonably competent ( I have 5 other classics) I have a very limited knowledge of the 1000 Vincent motor and I understand that machining of parts are necessary etc. As I am getting older and lazier (hence an electric start wish) I would prefer to have it fitted. Barry