E: Engine Egli 500 Special

Bill Cannon

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Ben, how do you know it's a 600? this requires either a stroked crank or crankcases bored for larger liners, so significant work. I agree with Davidd, first essential is leak down test as you clearly have excessive crankcase pressure.
Another point is you must only check the oil level after a run, other wise you will have too much oil.
Your bike looks like an original Egli and should have a sight tube at the front of the oil tank by the headstock. I fill mine to about half way up the pipe.
Good luck
Bill

Ben Langton

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thank you all so much, I feel like I'm in good hands (reason I joined the club, to learn). What I mean is I know very little, in fact nothing about the bike or what to do with it. It was/is a dream of mine to own and ride a Vincent (after meeting Marcus a few years back that really did it). The Egli is a bit like a Vincent Triton, the mating of good engine and good frame (my other passion) if you know what I mean, but very special.

Davidd the front engine sprocket is 38T

Bill after my last ride about a week ago I checked the oil by sticking a wire down the filler, I would say half filling the tube at that point.

A chap on the hill climb suggested a valve, he had one on his triumph, was a rubbery looking thing with a closed end, he said only a few quid think it was for a Enfield? Maybe a easy thing to try?

Oil, Bill, not sure it's pretty thick I think and has a wife about it, possibly castrol R or very similar (they do a new ish version) no idea though.

I don't think the bike has been use do much at all, everything below the minor grime film of being stood is like new. Everything is drilled out for looking wire but none fitted, tyres are like new, sprocket, brakes, chain everything. Just building an idea really. Maybe it was re built and not actually used much therefore a few tuning problems to iron out? I'm hoping! I know it was used as a couple of guys at the event had seen the bike in Plymouth before with Doug, (sadly killed in a bike accident, hence the little info)
Marcus Bowden knew the chap and his father, his info is all I have on it. he may serve this and comment.

As for plans (after I get it sorted thanks to you chaps) proberbly road use with the odd little event like the local one the other day. I had booked it in to the 1000 bikes to take in track but since decided to take something else.

Can someone tell me exactly what to do for the oil drain down test (youngster that knows nothing guide) please.

I did clean the carb out last night, blue green film so guessed right with the avgas, was a bit gummed so looking forward to starting it up again for the test above.

Here are some more photos.
Please keep throwing the ideas out, tell me what to do and I'll do it and repost. Hope to get it sorted, thanks all again.B
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Looks tasty, If i was a bit younger !, From what you say, I would just try and put a few more gentle miles on it, Maybe just gummed up from standing, ie, Piston rings ?.
I don't like the anti sumping valve you are talking about, They are more trouble than they are worth, Vin's don't wet sump over night, And it's no trouble to slip the sump drain plug out, If you know about it.
What happens with Vin's, The owner looks in the oil tank, see's it's a bit low, Tops up the oil, Then starts it and the extra oil in the sump comes back to the tank, And over fills !! = Oil all over the place !, We have all done it !. As Martyn said, Make sure there something in the breather thing, To stop neat oil coming out, Mine has a plastic gauze.
Good Luck. Bill.

Oldhaven

VOC Member
Very interesting wth no f106 frame tie and a different gearbox fixing method. It gives me some ideas for my special. Nice looking machine.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
As far as starting, As Greg has said, It should have a valve lifter, Don't think I can see a cable, Don't know if you have all the workings inside the Timing case ?.
But I don't have one on my Comet, I just roll it back on compression in 1st gear, Put it in neutral and give it a kick, Works for me. Cheers Bill.

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
The modern semi synthetic castor based oils, like Silkolene have a purple hue colour about them if that helps. The exhaust fumes are not quite so heady as with the Castrol R aroma we crave for.

I hope you understand that mineral oil and castor based oils should not be mixed, but many say there are some myths out there. Ask for advice here on this forum if you plan to change from one type of oil to another and perhaps receive information dismissing the myths. I am old school and currently believe them.

My gut feeling is your bike had sumped and might not have piston, bore, or rings issues. Drain the sump, check level in the frame and if OK go for a run. Top up with a similar based oil, mineral, castor, or the semi synthetic castor as appropriate.

Bill Cannon

VOC Member
Thanks for the new photos, From those I can see it is an original type Vincent head so it does not have the Terry Prince 600cc conversion. If it is 600cc it must have a stroked crank which would make it harder to kickstart.
Bill

davidd

VOC Member
It does not have a Terry Prince head, but you can run a big bore without stroking. Terry's heads will fit a 500 barrel as long as the the liner is bigger, so you can go either way on the bore. You need to use his studs. Bob Dunn makes a lot of big bore Comets.

David