Photo of the Day EBX625: Shadow Lake Rally 1977

G

Graham Smith

The late Ron Vane's tasty looking Rapide at the infamous Shadow Lake Rally back in 1977.

This bike is now in the hands of one of Ron's relatives and will hopefully be brought back to life in 2023 and making its way to many rallies.

slr40.jpg

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
For those too new to Vincents to know the details, Ron was both a hard riding road man on EBX and also a racing sidecar man with another Vincent twin. He also became a World Record holder in the three wheeler class with a device he called 'The Thing' This actually had four wheels but two were so close together that they met the regulations for the three wheel class. For many years he was a regular attender at the Kent and Sussex section, on EBX and that number become associated with Ron for many years. He was a very competent engineer and business man and many of us regarded him as a close friend. Very competitive too. I remember one occasion he had ridden to a club night on EBX and when it came time to leave we had a little competition to see whether his bike or mine would start most easily. Fortunately both bikes started first kick so honours were even and no one had to cough up for drinks etc. Ron's son, Mark, still has a very nicely prepared twin and I generally meet up with him at North Kent rallies.