Ebay - Buyer beware

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Does anyone know where you can get original cad plated cheese head cover screws, given that cad is hard to get done most places anymore. At our recent national rally here in Australia, one of the boys had a beautifully restored Shadow with the " Correct " cover screws, when i asked where he got them he replied that he'd made them himself.....maybe a supplier of British aircraft cheese heads may be a source, allthough i'm not to sure where the Brit planes of yesteryear would have used whitworth thread screws....most Brit planes i've worked on used alot of BA, BSF threads.......whilst i'm at it....another "Hard to find" item is the original flat plain washers (also cad plated) with the 30 deg chamfer on one edge only.....where to buy.from???.....or unobtainium, as they say...I believe other high end British bikes and cars used them as well....any thoughts, or ideas appreciated.....cheers..Greg.

riptragle1953

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Darn it all Greg I wish my old memory worked .... there was a s/s slotted screw that would be a match but one had to turn the head diameter down to size in a lathe. I believe they were available from McMaster-Carr (a huge industrial supplier here in the states).
I could never find a s/s screw that did just fit without this narrowing. I used 1/4"x20 allen heads myself and was always getting hell from Rollie Baker because of it. I will try to go through the on line catalog to see if I can find the slotted screw that did need
machining..... for that matter you could chuck them up in a drill press and file to size.... it wasn't much. Hey, did anybody notice I said "darn it" at the beginning of this post? (humor)

ernie

VOC Assistant Secretary
VOC Member
.... it wasn't much. Hey, did anybody notice I said "darn it" at the beginning of this post? (humor)[/QUOTE]

Darn tootin'

ray vinmad

VOC Drawings Manager
VOC Member
I might be being pedantic about 60 year old threads, but it doesn't matter whether it goes in the hole or not, an M6 screw will go in a 1/4" BSF hole, but it's miles undersize & the wrong pitch.
The theory is that when you tighten a nut & bolt it is the flanks that lock it up & do the work. If you have always used 55deg screws before, a 60deg thread will be making a helical line contact until it deforms the ally enough to hold. i.e. it will only lock up on the flank face once the ally has burred over. So don't be surprised if you have to retighten them a few times before they `fit'.

Ray