Misc: Everything Else Early (B?) vs. late (C?) kickstart levers

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Hold a magnet to it , then to a steel spanner, some stainless is anty magnetic and some with various degrees of magnetism .

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
With stainless it depends upon whether there is an austenitic layer, or so I was told. If there is then it will be non magnetic. Some stainless steels can be magnetic.

Viny4

VOC Member
A solution of Nitric with eat steal not the SS. Martensitic SS is as magnetic as steel. If it's polished and not chrome plated.

oexing

VOC Member
Knowing that some parts oin Vincent are stainless I was not sure about the kickstart lever so I polished it a bit, degreased it and let some drops of plain water there over night - rust stains.

Vic

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
As previously said, only the very early dog leg kickstart were stainless, probably the first 150 approx. The factory then appears to have kept the shape but changed the material as there are dog leg kickstarts that were chrome plated. The bike I'm restoring at the moment has one and it needed rechroming because the old chrome was peeling away due to rust.

Oldhaven

VOC Member
Could we ask someone with an early SS Kickstart to try a magnet on it to see if it is magnetic type stainless please?

oexing

VOC Member
Would not be a reliable test basically as there are lots of magnetic types like your stainless kitchen sink possibly.

Vic

Robert Watson

VOC Member
As previously said, only the very early dog leg kickstart were stainless, probably the first 150 approx. The factory then appears to have kept the shape but changed the material as there are dog leg kickstarts that were chrome plated. The bike I'm restoring at the moment has one and it needed rechroming because the old chrome was peeling away due to rust.

Simon, I might have to question that statement.

The Touring Rap in the picture is /21XX. I had the k/s rechromed and when I went to fit it the chrome came off in large sheets. I sent it back telling them my fault as I had not mentioned it was likely SS, which requires different strikes before the chrome. They confirmed it was SS and redid it (no charge, which was more than fair) We know the Original Owner rode that to Uni in the late late 40's/ early 50's and then moved to a pretty remote small town. It was crashed about 1961 and stored in this same remote town until his passing about 9-10 years ago when the grandson acquired it. I can see no evidence that it somehow got fitted with an earlier k/s anywhere in its life, but I have been known to be wrong before!

Michael Vane-Hunt

VOC Member
I have what I believe is a stainless kicker. It has had road rash (don't ask) on it for many years. These areas have never rusted. Lever is not chromed and magnet sticks about same as steel

Attachments

• 20200412_094903.jpg
    20200412_094903.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 20200412_095016.jpg
    20200412_095016.jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 27