PD: Primary Drive Dynamo sprocket engagement

oexing

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Vincent´s Schaublin is more like a solid big Colchester, but at a higher level. The only plus on a Myford is the weight for schlepping it up the stair or down to basement. In fact, it is a case for masochists who got all the time to finally arrive to something useful - povided the machine is big enough to handle the job. Would I want one ? Only in dire emergencies when no alternatives available. Classic - yes, great for the showroom . . .

Vic

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
nothing better than a Vincent done up:

By A Swiss Schaublin Lathe
preferably a type 150.

could say Smug, what else? (posh coffee advertisment guy)

and of course it works with an Drummond from the roaring 20ies as well.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Vincent´s Schaublin is more like a solid big Colchester, but at a higher level. The only plus on a Myford is the weight for schlepping it up the stair or down to basement. In fact, it is a case for masochists who got all the time to finally arrive to something useful - povided the machine is big enough to handle the job. Would I want one ? Only in dire emergencies when no alternatives available. Classic - yes, great for the showroom . . .

Vic
Vic, I don't know how this translates to the German language, but my comment about the Myford Super Seven Lathe, in comparison to the Schaublin, was made as an ironic comment.

oexing

VOC Member
Peter, irony on internet can be shaky certainly when you are not in a conversation in same room. I was not quite sure about Schaublins you were thinking of and I know not much about them, believing there are types very small and unsophisticated. So your pictures about Myfords vs. Schaublins might have been from a strong belief. Methinks there are a number of fanatics in the Myford religion as I have learned in some other places. You could have been one of them as well, same goes for discussions about olde lathe brands vs. Chinese types. I got three Chinese, one from Taiwan, all were new and quite allright for my needs. Two are in the 500 kg class, one is 1600 kg, so most jobs can be done on them. Big snag with industry types from long gone times is the heavy weight as typically you get a base casting with motor and drive in and no bench type. So no way to carry them around, even in split components - and you don´t have much of a benefit from tons of old iron unless heavy roughing is your every day job. Plus, classic lathes got no induction hardened bedways of vee-type, so a used machine will show a lot of wear in a number of places , a real mess in case of dove tail or square type guides, not much hope resp. a biiig job to rectify wear. So myself not keen to have an old used machine . Certainly the classic looks of those collectors machines can be nice for static show but a chore for working with them. My first lathe was not small, but primitive and prewar. But which war, rather pre-first world war most likely. Still think of her in times, giving me the creeps after decades . . . .
What´s sure, you will not find a machine that ticks all boxes of your criteria, so study all features and decide what suits your needs best - same goes with motorbikes . . . .

Vic

highbury731

VOC Member
Confessions department. I did my first tests on the dynamo/alternator sprocket engagement, and got about 0.030" movement of the chain. Then I got distracted, took a look at the clutch end seal, and forgot that I had removed the clutch carrier. With no clutch carrier in place, the chainwheel drops and suddenly the dynamo sprocket engagement gets, um, loose.
With the shoe carrier safely back in place,. I get about .040" clearance on the sprocket. Hey ho, I goofed.

Having got that out of the way... If I remove the steel ring ET164 and file the crankcase hole I could lower it say 20 or 30 thou, and allow the alternator to drop a bit, maybe 10 thou.

Doug68

Forum User
VOC Member
I believe I have the same parts you describe, I think as others have said either your eccentric is not eccentric enough or it's in the wrong spot.
We didn't run into any issues getting the Alton gear mesh correct.
However the eccentric I have was made by my Dad many years ago, so may be a bit different to whatever you have.

I happen to have mine apart at the moment, loosely put it together to take the pictures below, which I hope help, at the moment I have another 1/4 of a turn on the eccentric if needed.

20231027_121829.jpg

20231027_121429.jpg

greg brillus

VOC Member
I never run the plastic sprockets with the Alton's........the teeth generally fail due to the play in the chainwheel bushes, the teeth on the plastic sprockets are wider than the steel ones, making the problem worse.......no issues with the steel sprockets.

Jim Bush

VOC Member

Vic

Sometimes getting a lathe in and out of the basement can be a challenge - my 12"x40" did an endo down the stairs....Vincent´s

Attachments

• LAthe Out.jpg
    LAthe Out.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 40