Dynamo mount - Rapide

Phil Baker

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
When I position the dynamo (original 3" Miller fully reconditioned by Paul Dunn) hard up against the inner primary face and fit the PD16, oil thrower PD28, PD15/1, PD17AS and PD23, the nylon cog needs to move outwards by about 90 thou in order to sit in the centre of the primary chain. If I insert the correct shim I have about two threads left on the dynamo shaft upon which to tighten the nut. Is it acceptable to mill away the centre of the PD15/1 so that PD17AS etc sit further in and leave me with more thread? Or am I missing something?

ogrilp400

Non-VOC Member
G'day Phil. I suspect that you will have trouble milling metal from the dynamo sprocket as they are usually bloody hard. A spigoted nut and a drive plate with longer legs may have to be specially made to reach down into the assembly. Don't forget to loctite and lock wire as if they come apart they create havoc.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
When I position the dynamo (original 3" Miller fully reconditioned by Paul Dunn) hard up against the inner primary face and fit the PD16, oil thrower PD28, PD15/1, PD17AS and PD23, the nylon cog needs to move outwards by about 90 thou in order to sit in the centre of the primary chain. If I insert the correct shim I have about two threads left on the dynamo shaft upon which to tighten the nut. Is it acceptable to mill away the centre of the PD15/1 so that PD17AS etc sit further in and leave me with more thread? Or am I missing something?
It may be possible to make the hole larger in your nylon sprocket and PD17AS to allow a spigoted nut, as suggested by ogrilp400, to engage more thread. Why doesn't the dynamo shaft protrude far enough? Does it have non-standard parts fitted?

Phil Baker

Non-VOC Member
Dynamo's as standard as can be. Spigoted nut is a good possibility but tolerances would have to be pretty carefully worked out in order to give enough strength to the spigot without machining away too much of the clamping/locating bits. In answer to Ogrilp, it's a nylon sprocket. I do wonder if the nylon jobby is thicker than the metal one - anybody able to measure the steel item and tell me how thick it is, please?

Mark Fisher

Non-VOC Member
Dynamo's as standard as can be. Spigoted nut is a good possibility but tolerances would have to be pretty carefully worked out in order to give enough strength to the spigot without machining away too much of the clamping/locating bits. In answer to Ogrilp, it's a nylon sprocket. I do wonder if the nylon jobby is thicker than the metal one - anybody able to measure the steel item and tell me how thick it is, please?
Phil some nylon/plastic sprockets are similar in appearance and thickness to the original steel one. However there are thicker ones out there that are really for an Alton set up, so I guess you will have to measure what you have. I'm at work so I can't give you dimensions of the two types I have come across.
mark