Dumbbell Nut

stevee

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Graham - at the risk of creating fake news - Glenn Shriver's illustration (measurements by FJG) in 'Back to A' shows a captive nut as part of the setup
Screenshot 2022-02-26 at 05.27.43.png

Perhaps using this form of dumbbell
IMG-3651.jpg

Steve

delboy

VOC Member
Hi Stevee,
I know it went in the book, but I'm not so sure Glenns' arrangement is original and correct.
I think [for what it's worth] the correct arrangement is a 1/4" BSF hex set screw from the inside of the mudguard and a nut on the outside and then the "Dumbell" with a 1/4 BSF thread, as in Graham's photo.
I have just been to look at my Nephew's old mudguard, which looks unadulterated, and it is arranged this way.
This is the way I have always thought it to be.
Regards,
Delboy.

delboy

VOC Member
Hi Stevee,
I know it went in the book, but I'm not so sure Glenns' arrangement is original and correct.
I think [for what it's worth] the correct arrangement is a 1/4" BSF hex set screw from the inside of the mudguard and a nut on the outside and then the "Dumbell" with a 1/4 BSF thread, as in Graham's photo.
I have just been to look at my Nephew's old mudguard, which looks unadulterated, and it is arranged this way.
This is the way I have always thought it to be.
Regards,
Delboy.
PS.
having looked at photo's of the virtually untouched "Prague" bike and a blow-up of Twin DUR452, I would say it was originally, the 1/4 BSF setscrew from the inside and locknut outside, with tapped [at 30 Deg'] "Dumbell" , arrangement.
Cheers,
Delboy.