Dumbbell Nut

G

Graham Smith

Does anyone know where I can get hold of one of the pre-war dumbbell nuts used to retain the front mudguard stay/front stand on the pre-war bikes?

I’m told there was no part number for this.

6C1DF46F-A1B6-435E-BB6F-B8ACCC94E083.png

oexing

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
What´s the purpose of the hexagon nut ? Two nuts on a stud ?? Horex got these types of finger nuts, in alu, certainly M 6, on the rear mudguard . This could be openend to 1/4 " possibly.

Vic
IMG00005.JPG

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Vic first.
The standard nut holds the bolt in place to the mudguard, the one in question holds the front stand to the bolt, not unlike the rear stand arrangement on a post war bike.

Bill next.
Not an item used on post war bikes, except perhaps in some place by an owner, but not from the factory

I general, I have made them but they are not a fun exercise!

Last edited:

oexing

VOC Member
These alu Horex M 6 types are € 8.- each, 1/4" thread should be no big deal to modify. So anyone or two interested - I can assist on UK exports. Shipping costs have to be seen today, certainly.

Vic

G

Graham Smith

Weren't they used on the bottom Series B Meteor (post war) front mudguard stay/ front stand, part number 976, M030.
Yes, as the Series B Meteor didn’t have front stands, they used a flap down mudguard stay, and the dumbbell keeps the stand in place whilst being used as a stay.

I’m no expert, but I suspect they had a load of the dumbbells left over from the Series As, so decided to use them up on the Series B machines.