Different Single

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Didn't Vincents make a single from Lightning engine with some sort of dummy cylinder?
They did -2 off.
The engines were 500cc single cylinder for use in a single seater race car but based on the twin crankcases so it was easy to remove a 1000cc twin engine and replace it with a 500cc single engine at the race meeting and so race in both classes.
There was no rear cylinder at all, it was blanked off and so this not only gave the same mounting points, but importantly the rear drive chain was on the same side.

One of these engines has survived.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flylow

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
One of these engines has survived.

Thank you, Simon. Can you tell us which one, customer Winterbottom or Bournemouth? I am guessing that it is not Winterbottom as that one was continuously broken and repaired but who knows...

Last edited:

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Those engines must have had a spacer to replace the rod and a carefully selected balance factor. Although maybe the same as a Comet?

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Thank you, Simon. Can you tell us which one, customer Winterbottom or Bournemouth? I am guessing that it is not Winterbottom as that one was continuously broken and repaired but who knows...
Sorry but I’m not willing to say as it would be easy for somebody to get the number stamps out and the “find“ the other one in their late uncle‘s shed.

vibrac

VOC Member
Strangely enough this month classic racer has a long article about the Ducati supermomo (1993 onwards)
this was a very successful 500+cc single racer based on the 888cc V twin superbike motor but with the rear cylinder replaced by a blind housing containing an articulated counter-balancer the over 572cc four valve desmo racer reved up to 11K
So that it proves it can be done

Flylow

VOC Member
Sorry but I’m not willing to say as it would be easy for somebody to get the number stamps out and the “find“ the other one in their late uncle‘s shed.
I understand Simon. I trust though, that the 'secret' mating number is the best security against faking this and other missing Vincent's. Thank you for all the work you do in keeping Vincent's well documented.

Last edited: