Delrin

brian gains

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi does anyone on the board have any experience/advice on machining delrin plastic.
Thanks in advance.

Generic Beardy

VOC Member
I have machined it a few times - so can't claim expert status but can tell you what I have done/found so far. Tools need to be very sharp and kept clean. Any build up on the tool starts smearing/melting the workpiece. I've used gt85 as a cutting lubricant with it and that seemed to work ok. If things are still getting too hot I've rigged up my airline with a blow gun clamped to blow on the workpiece and that kept it cold and workable. All very Heath Robinson but seemed to work for me. Also, some friends of mine who waterjet//laser cut say it laser cuts well.

timetraveller

VOC Member
I had a batch of Brampton damper knobs made for the SC a few months ago. They were all made of black Delrin to match as near as possible the appearance of the original Bakelite.

Last edited:

Mike 40M

VOC Member
Only turned and drilled delrin, never milled. Not very difficult material. Never bothered to grind tools to correct angles. Cuts well anyway. As said melts easy.

mercurycrest

VOC Member
You have to spin it up pretty fast and it throws ribbons of itself all over the lathe, making a hell of a mess. Very easy to get a nice finish though.

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
Be aware with later machining steel with hot swarf coming off.
If delrin or acetal starts to smell its dangerous, as acid is formed, in a reaction.

And as it does not chip, but forms long swarf, it can be dangerous, when it comes near the chuck.
Never get long swarf out with your hands...

Than again, we are not yougsters and know this all.

fogrider

VOC Member
Further to Flyinglow's advice about sharp tools, I found a very sharp cutting edge ,with lots of back rake, on a round-faced tool was best, it left a very good surface. Medium speed and a slow feed seemed to suit my amateur skills.
The supplier gave me some extra offcuts and advised me to have a go on them to get on top of how it cuts before starting the actual job. It was good advice !