Vincent Related David Tompkins Vincent at Daytona

passenger0_0

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Well done David Tomkins!
The wide open spaces and low sun makes it difficult to gauge where the track goes.
Massive speed difference between the Grey Flash and the bikes in the first wave.
An excellent result.

greg brillus

VOC Member
The first class look like 125's or similar, and mixed.......at the 6.00 min mark he overtakes what looks like an Aermachi withforward facing cylinder........one of our boys here races them, I think it is a 350, not 100% sure, the others look like little two strokes. The long distance straights look scarry on acount of how long do you hold it at max rev's........simply feathering the throttle to keep it safe........Looks like a big HP track a bit like Phillip island here.

davidd

VOC Member
Sorry to be so late to the party, but that's why I sent the video to Graham.

The first wave was the 250 GP Class. On the tight courses the two leaders finish ahead of David, but Daytona is a big track and the small bikes do not have an advantage.

Daytona Track Map 2022.PNG

I built that engine in 2018 and it has played its part well. I documented the engine build and the chassis mods in the book. David has done a brilliant job reeling in a second National Championship.

It is great to see two Vincents at Daytona again and fantastic to see one win so convincingly.

Congratulations to both Scott and David!

David

greg brillus

VOC Member
I still find it difficult to believe a 500 Vincent is that competetive against other 500 race bikes of the era........Most other high end Brit singles put out more than 40 HP. The ESO speedway engine I ran in mine before the engine change put out 45 straight out of the box. It is very difficult to extract bigger HP from a single.......Mine is a 665 cc putting out 48.2 HP and still does not have enough especially in the unlimited class.........I sent my head away to a friend who is installing bigger titanium valves and modifying the seats and ports.....we are changing the seat angles to 50 Degrees and running beehive springs........ratio the rocker assembly...... I am aiming for 0.550" lift larger inlet valves and smaller exhaust.......We have worked out that basically the valve train in a Vincent is quite poor for developing big HP figures ......the use of roller symetrical cams and ratio rockers is the answer, but unless you have a better oil pump system, you will be waisting your time, Oh and stronger pushrods and everything else to go with it........Upon disassembly of my head recently, I found the valve stem collars were very worn.........The rockers themselves were fine, but the collars had not........possibly from not being hard enough, also I am going to increase the flow of oil to this area of the head much more once the modified head comes back.......My head is one of the latest types of the 600 kits that Terry was selling........this with the chambers and ports fully CNC'd.......Apart from matching the port to the inlet manifold, I had done no other mods to it........It was a good starting point, but now the fun begins........Who knows if it will survive.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Hi there Bill........ It's 92 x 100 so similar specs to the original just bigger........ I am careful to limit max rev's to 7000 on account of piston speed.......It feels like it will keep reving, but to be honest i shift at about just over 6000 as it has huge torque and just pooring on the revs seems unnecessary.

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
Looks like an very scary circuit, no runouts at all, as most have now on the circuits, (apart from open road ones, i guess).

its a thing going like pure stink, I will spanner down one Cylinder!!!!