David Bowen: Fishers Green

Gary Hall

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
G'day David,
As a fitter and machinist these photos interest me intensely and gives insight into how the operations were carried out. Obviously the Ryder machines the cylinders but I'm trying to work out how the cylinders are held. It looks like they are being held by the top fin but surely this would not be sufficiently rigid to carry out machining of the sleeve bore and the stud holes and facing off of the cylinder base.

Phelps.
I wish i could remember how they were held, if my dad was still with us he could tell you because we both worked as maintenance fitters. Dad was at HRD pre war and returned there after service until closure. I started there at no.2 factory when it was Harper Engines the Ryder was at no.2 then transfered to Geo W King where it was used to machine parts for the car industry. I knew George very well, he was a lovely man, loved his fishing. The chucks on the Ryder were connected to the drive by a ring of shear pins that we regularly had to replace. My dad was the expert on the Ryder so mostly it was left for him to fix on nights. Happy days