dampers

derek

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
What is considered the best modern damper for front and rear suspension on a standard series C solo, and where can they be obtained.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I have a Vincent damper on the front and a Koni on the rear, so no personal experience, but the Thornton dampers advertised in MPH have a lot of loyal fans. Some have used AVO
I think they are made in the UK.

Albervin

VOC Member
While not directly answering Derek's question, what dampers are sold by VOCS & Kemps? I have Konis on all my post war Vincents & just bought a new Ikon. I have not fitted it yet but it looks fabulous. A
couple of reservations though, the body is thicker than the original & turned from solid aluminium and the top eye screws onto the shaft. The owner says all Ikon Vincent dampers have always had a screw on or bolt on shaft & he has had no dramas. He is now considering fitting a grease nipple to the bottom mount to facilitate maintenance.

Albervin

VOC Member
Well thanks Bruce. That really doesn't mean a lot. D for Damper. 1 because there is only one. AS for assembly. Who makes them?

Bracker1

VOC Member
Double check the compressed length of the IKON before installing. The set I had were 3/4 of an inch too long at full compress, and the front suspension kept bottoming out. Returned no problem, but don't know if problem has been rectified. My Rapide had a set of the springs and dampers I bought from a fellow in Chicago and were the best investment ever. Good Luck, Dan

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Well thanks Bruce. That really doesn't mean a lot. D for Damper. 1 because there is only one. AS for assembly. Who makes them?

You're quite welcome. My assumption was that "Vincent" meant that they at least looked like the original dampers and maybe that they were the same design, but with upgraded seals, orifices, etc. Ian or Russ may tell us about their source(s) if they read this thread.

Albervin

VOC Member
Double check the compressed length of the IKON before installing. The set I had were 3/4 of an inch too long at full compress, and the front suspension kept bottoming out. Returned no problem, but don't know if problem has been rectified. My Rapide had a set of the springs and dampers I bought from a fellow in Chicago and were the best investment ever. Good Luck, Dan
Just measured the Ikon. It is 1/4" longer than the original with the bump stop rubber in place and 1/4" shorter with rubber removed. It is going on the rear so the rubber is probably not necessary.
Apologies to Bruce. My comment previously came over a bit sharp & sarcastic. I certainly did not mean it to be.

Albervin

VOC Member
P1000095.jpg
This is the IKON unit.