D front brake switch

vincenttwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
What is the correct method of attaching the brake switch pull blade to the front brake balance beam on a D,helping a friend in Denver ,the local restorer had left a bid of bent safety wire.

macvette

Non-VOC Member
Mine isn't attached, the blade sits on top of the balance beam so that the return spring is compressed a little, the position is finally set using the two bolts AFTER the font brakes are adjusted.
Mac

vincenttwin

VOC Member
Mac,do you know if yours is original ,if you think it is can you ,please post a photo so I can show it to the D,s owner.
Thanks
Peter

macvette

Non-VOC Member
DSC00644.JPG

Regards Mac

macvette

Non-VOC Member
Hi,
Yes it's original, I re used it when I rebuilt the bike. You can see how it's mounted on the bridge plate in the previous post. As you can see the holes in the blade are not used, these are for when the switch is in tension eg rear brake on some bikes. On the D the switch is operated by the balance beam which moves up on that side of the bike when the brake is applied. You do the final positioning of the switch after adjusting the front brake. If you go the main site. Info,Technical,Components D, MO 110, you will see a small skectch of the switch numbered PR19/2. The Spares Co. hold these under part no.PR39/1 although there are probably other suppliers.
Mac

The VOC Spares Company Limited

VOC Member
Just a note to say that the part no. shown on MO110 is an error, PR19 is the tail lamp unit. PR19/2 is the Open D type unit.
Look in the D spares list Descriptions and you will find the PR39/1 switch listed.
Ian

vincenttwin

VOC Member
It is an open D ,but that front steady plate has no slots and some one has mounted an britex switch off the bottom bolt on the plate and has drill the beam . Now I know why it looked very odd.
Thanks for your help

macvette

Non-VOC Member
Mine is an open D, I forgot to say that my switch has an internal spring. I don't know the difference between the open D switch and that held by the Spares Co. but I'm sure Ian can clarify this as I used the one that was on the bike.
Mac