Cylinder Stud Thread Profile

ogrilp400

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
G'day Roy,
So why does the works drawing list it as 9/16 x 20 CEI and Prof Higgins article saying there is a difference between CEI and BSCy ?
Clevtrev, my drawing ,posted here on the 16th of December clearly says 9/16" x 20 CEI. Surely Vincents would not have changed this half mat through production?

Phelps.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
To summarize what I think I have learned; Laurie Binns thought the original items were Whitworth form 55 degrees, which the photograph on Page 1 seems to confirm.However, in Laurie's tools are 14mm and 9/16 UNF helicoils together with a sizing tap of 5/8x20 t.p.i. I have heard from another member that Laurie maintained Admiralty thread was originally used. However, all helical inserts have a 60 degree profile. I need a cup of tea, a Bex and a good lie down. (note to foreigners, Bex was the brand name for an addictive Australian analgesic similar to "mother's little helper" popularized by the wonderful Mr. Jagger. I think you are a brave man, Phelpsy!

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
We have all done it Ken, Why so many different threads ?, I have just bought a Special tool, All The nuts and bolts are loose, And God knows what size spanner fits them !!, They are not A.F. or Metric, I would not have thought BSF, But dafter things have been done !. Cheers Bill.

A_HRD

VOC Member
I'll add a few more worms to the can. :eek:

I've spent over an hour in the cold loft and have finally found my "Machinery's Handbook" - 1919 version. There isn't much said about the CEI thread except for the following summary:

60 degree rounded top and bottom.
Depth of thread = Pitch x 0.5327 = 0.05 x 0.5327 = 0.0266" (for a 9/16 x 20tpi).
Radius of the thread at top and bottom = 1/6th of the pitch = 0.05 /6 = 0.0083 (for a 9/16 x 20tpi).

Then I surfed around and found this site: http://www.stevenott.com/ceithreads.htm
Unfortunately, the first diagram doesn't conform to the Machinery's Handbook 1919. So I would discount it.
However, the two charts are interesting. Firstly it confirms depth of thread as 0.0266 (as per Machinery's Handbook 1919). Secondly, depending on whether you have a "CEI Thread" or a "Bicycle CEI Thread" the Core Diameters are quite different at 0.498 and 0.5093 respectively (for a 9/16 x 20tpi).

How many more worms can we get in to the can?

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

vibrac

VOC Member
Of course the definitive answer or rather decision resides with the drawings committee that we created for just this 'too many cooks' situation

A_HRD

VOC Member
Of course the definitive answer or rather decision resides with the drawings committee that we created for just this 'too many cooks' situation

Which is in itself part of the problem for members who want the correct studs for their Molnar, Wyatt, DRAT, and other crankcases; we can find out what thread forms those manufacturers used, but we don't know if the VOC Spares Co ones will fit properly.

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Which is in itself part of the problem for members who want the correct studs for their Molnar, Wyatt, DRAT, and other crankcases; we can find out what thread forms those manufacturers used, but we don't know if the VOC Spares Co ones will fit properly.

Peter B
Bristol, UK.
And while you are at it, why some main bearing holes are too small and oil pump sleeve bores are banana shaped

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
I'll add a few more worms to the can. :eek:

I've spent over an hour in the cold loft and have finally found my "Machinery's Handbook" - 1919 version. There isn't much said about the CEI thread except for the following summary:

60 degree rounded top and bottom.
Depth of thread = Pitch x 0.5327 = 0.05 x 0.5327 = 0.0266" (for a 9/16 x 20tpi).
Radius of the thread at top and bottom = 1/6th of the pitch = 0.05 /6 = 0.0083 (for a 9/16 x 20tpi).

Then I surfed around and found this site: http://www.stevenott.com/ceithreads.htm
Unfortunately, the first diagram doesn't conform to the Machinery's Handbook 1919. So I would discount it.
However, the two charts are interesting. Firstly it confirms depth of thread as 0.0266 (as per Machinery's Handbook 1919). Secondly, depending on whether you have a "CEI Thread" or a "Bicycle CEI Thread" the Core Diameters are quite different at 0.498 and 0.5093 respectively (for a 9/16 x 20tpi).

How many more worms can we get in to the can?

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

Funny you should mention Machinery's handbook 1919, I thought I had down loaded a 1916 copy of the page regarding the thread form. Be damned if I can find it on now. It had an excellent description of the thread form.
Steven