FT: Frame (Twin) cylinder head brackets

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I do mine to 35, To allow for a bit of give in the paper gasket or gaskets if
Compression plate used :D .
We could be here all night !,
Who says a torque wrench is spot on ?, I have worked in Garages and they have been left in tension for weeks, So everything is + or - a bit ?.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
I just assembled mine and torqued them to 32...disassemble and retorque?
Absolutely. In the meantime do not turn it over, even accidentally!

Only kidding. If the heads seal and work with 30 ft lbs on the hollow setup, then 32 ought to work fine on the solid setup.
I guess the increase to 40 with the upgrade to solid is still well within safety margins and is a bit less likely to leak.

I recall having similar discussion with one of the the S Cal members. His Rapide has the early hollow studs. I quoted the KTB torque number to him, which at 30 ft lbs is the same as Richardson and the Instruction Sheets. He was horrified at that number and claimed 15 ft lbs would be absolute max for that connection.
After that I felt a bit uneasy about running these at 30, but have had no problems to date.
This was put in perspective recently with a discussion of Norton Commando head bolt torque. Those get the same 30 ft lbs but some are only 3/8" studs threaded about 1/2" into aluminium with a fairly fine 20tpi thread.
Those do let go on occasion, but even the early Vincent type bolt connection must be twice as sturdy as those Norton head studs.

Glen

Last edited:

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I have the recollection that the lower figure is to keep the quite hollowed out cylinder head from being distorted. ClevTrev very likely has an opinion on this.

delboy

VOC Member
Absolutely. In the meantime do not turn it over, even accidentally!

Only kidding. If the heads seal and work with 30 ft lbs on the hollow setup, then 32 ought to work fine on the solid setup.
I guess the increase to 40 with the upgrade to solid is still well within safety margins and is a bit less likely to leak.

I recall having similar discussion with one of the the S Cal members. His Rapide has the early hollow studs. I quoted the KTB torque number to him, which at 30 ft lbs is the same as Richardson and the Instruction Sheets. He was horrified at that number and claimed 15 ft lbs would be absolute max for that connection.
After that I felt a bit uneasy about running these at 30, but have had no problems to date.
This was put in perspective recently with a discussion of Norton Commando head bolt torque. Those get the same 30 ft lbs but some are only 3/8" studs threaded about 1/2" into aluminium with a fairly fine 20tpi thread.
Those do let go on occasion, but even the early Vincent type bolt connection must be twice as sturdy as those Norton head studs.

Glen
See article 165, Page 98 in "40 years on"
PEI himself. "..don't use much more than 35 pounds feet on a cold engine".
Nuff sed.
Delboy.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
See article 165, Page 98 in "40 years on"
PEI himself. "..don't use much more than 35 pounds feet on a cold engine".
Nuff sed.
Delboy.
Not really enough, there are two distinct connection types.

He was probably referring to the most common later type.

Glen

Last edited:

delboy

VOC Member
Not really enough, there are two connection types.

He was probably referring to the most common later type.

Glen
1951 Riders handbook makes no distinction between bolt types. Some 1300 hollow ones in use by then according to the Paul Richardson list.
It says, "..evenly to 35lb-ft torque."

Also try Page116 of "Tuning for speed".
PEI talks of the hollow bolts and says they "have large nuts but must not be tightened to more than 30 lb-ft torque, otherwise they may break when the cylinder expands. Later pattern solid bolts are not subjected to this restriction, but 35lb-ft is ample when the engine is cold." etc.
If you'll pardon the phrase, -I've never had a blow.

Cheers, Delboy.

vibrac

VOC Member
this is quite interesting from 10 years ago I haven't looked further but I guess there is plenty more
certainly not 40 more like 30
I will stick with my 32 BUT
Get that 2-3 thou clearance right on the head barrel interface before you start the tightening
Also after a week or so re check with a spanner and spring balance.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Here's Paul Richardson, page 44

" Engines up to 1310 are fitted with hollow holding down bolts, inside of which are separate solid bolts which relieve the barrels and heads of stresses. The nuts of these hollow studs should be tightened to 30 lb. ft
If a torque registering wrench is not available, a 1ft. long ring spanner can be used in conjunction with a spring scale."

This is the same info for those early engines as in KTB and in the Instruction Sheets.
I don't doubt more torque could be applied before things let go, but I go by the books on this one.

Glen