Crank Truing

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The part I hadn't seen with Vin cranks was bashing the shaft true to the side face of the flywheel. When I first glanced at the photo with the lead hammer, I assumed he was adjusting the points.:rolleyes:

craig

VOC Member
I am not sure there is much value to be had in lead hammering a Vincent stub/flywheel, but I wouldn't say never. Points adjust with a lead hammer takes a accomplished feel.

davidd

VOC Member
I suspect that Roy has it right about the differences. It seems that we are lucky to have reasonably good machining and straight shafts. The only change on the racer is replacing the hardened washers with bronze, which I do not think is absolutely necessary, but a good preventative measure.

A lead pad is used to drop the con rod on to make it round again. They always seem to change shape in the racer, but not by much. A small tap or two will put it back, at least for a while.

David

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
While we are on the subject, it is known by most readers that you can't just press a new eye for the Vincent big-end into the con-rod and expect it to run without failure. Likewise, most old flywheels have belling out at their big-end registers and can't just be pressed up and tightened after 60 years of contrary motion. There is one man in the Victorian Section who can still get the plot within .0005" I won't tell you about the errors he finds in Ducatis!P.S. the long stroke flywheel in the "Comet on Steroids" was obtained from Conway's and was within .0005" everywhere. I know this is "teaching Granny to suck eggs", but a lot of new owners seem to read the Forums before their books.

vibrac

VOC Member
, but a lot of new owners seem to read the Forums before their books.

This does seem to be a modern trend . I was very early onto the internet as I was a computer consultant and programer but 'we' tend to forget the decades before when 'we' read and reread the 'little red book' the riders guides and the old testament (Tuning for speed).
No so nowadays, its all unsubstantiated opinions and you need some knowlege to sort the wheat from the chaff. No wonder the EU and other undemocratic bodies want to stop home mechanics (and small shops) sometimes I think the whole purpose of bringing in computers to the ICE engine was to cut out the middle man

davidd

VOC Member
While we are on the subject, it is known by most readers that you can't just press a new eye for the Vincent big-end into the con-rod and expect it to run without failure. Likewise, most old flywheels have belling out at their big-end registers and can't just be pressed up and tightened after 60 years of contrary motion. There is one man in the Victorian Section who can still get the plot within .0005" I won't tell you about the errors he finds in Ducatis!P.S. the long stroke flywheel in the "Comet on Steroids" was obtained from Conway's and was within .0005" everywhere. I know this is "teaching Granny to suck eggs", but a lot of new owners seem to read the Forums before their books.

Yes, Your man's name is well-known even in the U.S., so he is a keeper. I suppose, the sign says it all:

David

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Davidd whilst the majority of vincent owners will see the "humour" in your post,as the owner and builder of at least 14 of milwaukees "finest" atleast 10 were actually faster than the rapide I have come to know and love! I still have one "in the shed" but it has not turned a wheel since the purchase of said vin. Just because it's different does not make it bad. They will all get your face in the wind, which at the end of the day is, surely the object.

Chrish

Non-VOC Member
Yes, Your man's name is well-known even in the U.S., so he is a keeper. I suppose, the sign says it all:

David

David, As the owner of both Vincents and Indians, I like your post for so many reasons, it has humor, the world is a sad place without it!

Chris