• Welcome to the website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Hon. Editor and Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this website before, please CLICK HERE.

G: Gearbox Cracked G4 final drive shaft

TouringComet

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
The bike lost the ability to shift into fourth gear. I opened up the gearbox, and the double gear G11 won't slide off the G4 final drive shaft. I see 5 cracks.

G4Crack.JPG

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
But the main shaft sits in a ball bearing tightly (hopefully) so you can only feel minimal play in the bearing ?

Vic
The shaft the clutch is on , Is not a tight fit, In the bearing, Never has been,
Doing up the nut with the slots in , keeps it all together,
But if too loose, The thrust washer wears out,
That's why they say , Do it up to the next slot , never go back to the slot before.

If the bearing was a tight fit, It would be a begger to put together,
You would have a job to know if the alloy plate the bearings are in has gone all the way home,
Same with the layshaft bearing.

oexing

VOC Member
Due to oil starvation the brass bush seized on G 3 gearshaft. Seizure expanded the bush and cracked the thinwalled G 4 drive shaft. How does the G 3 look , brass remains on it ? Or shaft/bush fit extremely sloppy ? Please add more photos .

Vic

greg brillus

VOC Member
Has the gearbox been together for some time or apart recently........i wonder if the input shaft was pressing on the end of the output shaft...........it is showing signs of this. The input shaft should have at least a half a mm of end float with the G 2 cover fully tightened home.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Haven't seen one split like that before..........I know it might sound extreme, but I wonder if the mating gear which would be the G 8 or a G 8/1 is in fact the wrong gear and has been causing bad or incorrect meshing, thus overloading the tips of the teeth.......Fit the layshaft and this mating gear back into the box to see if this might be the case.

Alyson

VOC Member
Haven't seen one split like that before..........I know it might sound extreme, but I wonder if the mating gear which would be the G 8 or a G 8/1 is in fact the wrong gear and has been causing bad or incorrect meshing, thus overloading the tips of the teeth.......Fit the layshaft and this mating gear back into the box to see if this might be the case.
since the '80s ? I'd think if it was the wrong gear trouble would have started some time ago. I don't see any bluing in the shaft/bushing so must have had the oil level correct, and I don't want to start talking about the dip stick :O

TouringComet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Not counting consumables like pistons and valve jobs, this is only the second failure for the Shadow. My father had an Alpha big end installed in the late 50’s but did not put the engine back together until the 80’s.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Maybe it's simply a matter of the shaft being hardened too much, the G16 bush could have too much interference and the shaft has just let go on the weakest points at the base of each spline.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I think Steve must have cleaned up the shaft a bit,
I would think it showed a bit of colour !!,
Would a tight rear chain stress it ?.

For me another reason to keep the full 2 UK pints of oil in there ?.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Hello, I have had a G4 fail in the same manner, luckily not so catastrophically. The bushing looks like the correct oilite.
Just old age, much like many owners!
John.
A very good point, I suppose even our beloved Vincents are not totally immune from metal fatigue, and like most of their owners they are getting on a bit, and lets be honest, when the clutch has occasionally not functioned as it should who hasn't been a bit rough with the gear lever just to get you home, I certainly have been guilty of that over the last 56 years.

vibrac

VOC Member
The twin gears are tough compared to most classics but perhaps they aint 'Burman tough'. 10,000 DR's boots stamping down throughout WW2 saw to that testing

Can't Find What You Need?

Buyer Beware: Fake or Real?

The Mighty Garage Videos

List of Forum Categories