H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Crack in rear hub

eharris

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello all,

Upon dismantling my rear hub, I have found a crack in it:

1695930901604.jpeg

1695931203312.jpeg
I can’t really imagine anyone is going to say “it’ll be alright…”!

Should I try to get the bearings out, or just get a new hub and bearings?

Cheers,

Ed

timetraveller

VOC Member
Many years ago I had the same. I got a steel ring turned up which was a few thou less in internal diameter than the outer diameter of the hub. I got the new ring red hot and put it over the hub and let it shrink down, It was there for years and many thousands of miles, The ring was about 3/8" wide and 3/8"deep.

eharris

VOC Member
Many years ago I had the same. I got a steel ring turned up which was a few thou less in internal diameter than the outer diameter of the hub. I got the new ring red hot and put it over the hub and let it shrink down, It was there for years and many thousands of miles, The ring was about 3/8" wide and 3/8"deep.
I had wondered about this and so may investigate further. Thanks.

eharris

VOC Member
If you get a new hub go metric. Stronger hub and cheaper, readily available bearings. Just about pays for the new hollow axle! If you do the repair put it on the non- chain side.
Interesting! Two metric bearings and a hollow axle are about the same as two imperial bearings. There’s supply and demand for you.

Cyborg

VOC Member
If you get a new hub go metric. Stronger hub and cheaper, readily available bearings. Just about pays for the new hollow axle! If you do the repair put it on the non- chain side.
I recall you mentioning that once before. I sorted through the hubs that I have and you’re quite right. The metric hub does have some extra meat in that area.