Counter Steering: Does Anybody Have An Explanation? - Demystification Required

Jez Nemeth

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Been watching speedway bikes forever, and always wondered why/how it works -I counter steer, always have, but don't understand how it actually works to edge the bike into a corner effectively...can anybody help with a plausible explanation? Is it a bit like divorce court, where you have to steer left to go right? Sure there's a more scientific reason...

b'knighted

VOC Member
I believe that it relates to the subtle change in the rider's balance. As one side of the bars is pushed forwards some small percentage of the riders weight is pushed to that side causing a minute lean to that side. This is related to riding on the road rather than a cinder track.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Counter steering is an interesting subject, I was discussing it with Jaqueline Bickerstaff over breakfast at the 2007 Isle of Man Rally, I knew nothing about counter steering, and was certain that I had never practised it, but J.B. said I was wrong, apparently we all subconsciously counter steer, it is not possible to ride a motorcycle without doing so, I take J.B.s word for it, although I am still not aware that I do it, but there are definitely different levels, and I think you have to be a pretty competent rider to use it in the extreme.

My Son was a reasonably successful amateur racer, and used counter steering quite frequently to get himself out of difficult situations, like a corner entered into a little to fast, and once you are aware of this, a push on the bars can just make the corner, never had to try it myself, I just take his word for it, I think at this level it is something you have to force yourself to do, it is not intuitive.

Now the divorce courts, my only advice is get yourself a good solicitor and barrister, if you want to retain ownership of your Vincent that is! steering left or right is unlikely to achieve this.

Jez Nemeth

Non-VOC Member
Saved me a few times heading down to Chepstow from Monmouth on the Tintern Wye valley road...weight distribution making the bike effectively fall in the opposite direction, it's a fine balance - be potentially easy to overcook a countersteer then? Interesting point J.B. highlights -still thinking about that one, and more puzzled... and does it become less/more effective at different speeds?

Must clarify though, not been through the scenario of a divorce myself Peter, just been the supportive Samaritan type whose advice you'd never listen to anyway over a pint ...best metaphor I could come up with to visualise counter intuitive behaviour, opposite of what common sense would dictate -there are parallels. However, few rider's I know will waggle the bars uncontrollably without reason heading into a corner to cause an adjournment or delay, so there are clear limitations to the similarities.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Another simple Colonial observation: We are exhorted to turn our front wheels toward the operating propstand. This actually disposes the centre of gravity toward the other side of the machine, lessening the load on the stand.As Michael Caine famously said, "not many people know that". I am an ignorant man, but I think this is a function of the rake and trail. Countersteering moves the centre of gravity similarly when the bike is in motion. Somewhere I've seen a video of Japanese Police riders employing this technique in a perilously tight "U" turn from a kerb-side standing start. I'm too stupid to do links, but I hope someone finds it.

vibrac

VOC Member
The best way to learn to ride on tarmac is to remove it
Back in the seventies I was lucky to spend winter Sunday mornings with three international road racers (and the occasional Ron Kemp) on 250 Trials bikes in the wet misty Chiltern hills starting at my house in the early morning and finishing in a pub at lunch time.
Apart from the best time of my life on two wheels you soon learn about sildes front and back slips and how counter steer changes things all at relatively slow speeds. Those corrective actions become automatic and stay with you decades later on the road at higher velocities

Jez Nemeth

Non-VOC Member
Quite a skill when you watch the low speed stuff . . .question begs, is there an upper speed point where it no longer has the same effect, or becomes the only way to steer? Just thinking...say on a long sandy flat run, like a beach, Pendine for instance, and going very, very fast...