T: Fuel Tank Correct seal for T28/2 Lever style Petrol Tap

weevil.knievel

Forum User
VOC Member
Hi,

I plan to fit the T28/2 lever style petrol tap but noticed it has a locking nut design which allows the tap to be correctly oriented when on the tank.

But what is the correct type of seal at the tank side to prevent fuel leaking past the threads at the nut? The original tap used a fibre washer A27/1 which sealed on the flat of the tap body when screwed home.

T28-2c.jpg

The Vincent spares site lists three seals under the A27 section
A27 BANJO WASHER CPR/NA (A)
A27/1 BANJO BOLT FIBRE WASHER (A)
A27/2 1/4 BSP DOWTY SEAL (A) (although the picture on the site for this one looks wrong, not a Dowty seal..)

...and do I need some sort of sealant on the threaded portion into the tank?

Regards,

Julian

Last edited:

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Why not some sealant and an 'o' ring. An 'o' ring with an aluminium outer ring would stop the 'o' ring expanding outwards. I have always used a standard sealing washer with this type of tap and never had trouble.

oexing

VOC Member
You can wrap teflon tape around the thread, no troubles when you succeded in having it enterted into the i.d. of the tank. Easier and 100 percent safe is a bit of low strength or normal Loctite screw locker. So then you just position the tap in your desired sense and wait till next day - finished. Low strength so you don´t fu*** up the hexagon when later taking the tap out for cleaning or else.

Vic

greg brillus

VOC Member
I prefer a liquid sealant called Cyberbond.....this used with one of the soft A27 drain plug/banjo washers and never had a leak yet.......(Cyberbond is a German made product.......I use it on everything......It is anaerobic so don't get carried away with it on threads as it will act like Loctite and can be difficult to undo.......just a smear on either side of the washer is enough........excellent on all the overhead oil return line banjo's and washers.......never get any leaks there either........best stuff ever.

Keith Martin

VOC Member
Triumph used the same lever type petcocks for many years. The seal is part number 70-7351 used in conjunction with washer 83-0002. Along with some EZ Turn fuel proof grease on threads they work great.
I have seen a few of those new lever type petcocks leak fuel past the petcock in the off position.Brand new ones leak. We remove the fuel line off the petcock and leave it over night to see if any fuel leaks past the petcock.

oexing

VOC Member
All flat seals got the drawback that you cannot have a certain orientation without a lot of hassles. Just get any typical screw locker , Loctite or whatever anaerobic, and let it cure in your preferred position - dead simple.

Vic

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Put the tap where you want it, hold it there with a wrench while you use a second spanner to tighten the nut against the sealing washer. There is no problem with orientation.
I use washers similar to those in Mike's post.
Of course thread seal works too. Either method will work.
Glen
All flat seals got the drawback that you cannot have a certain orientation without a lot of hassles. Just get any typical screw locker , Loctite or whatever anaerobic, and let it cure in your preferred position - dead simple.

Vic