Copper Inspection Cap washers (ET160)

Dynamiteboss

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Some early bikes had copper-asbestos crush (ET160) washers under the Inspection Caps. I like the looks of them over the currently available style from the Spares. I realize that asbestos cannot be used, but I am sure there is a modern replacement.

Does anyone have a source & part number for them?

Last edited:

Michael Vane-Hunt

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
We used to soak copper clad asbestos head gaskets, for cars, in water for awhile. The asbestos would swell up and restore the thickness somewhat.

Pushrod Twin

VOC Member
Some early bikes had copper-asbestos crush (ET160) washers under the Inspection Caps. I like the looks of them over the currently available style from the Spares. I realize that asbestos cannot be used, but I am sure there is a modern replacement.

Does anyone have a source & part number for them?
If your infatuation with the look of copper is that great, you might like to machine Cu rings and fit O rings behind them similar to the
aluminium ringed seals available from Neal Videan. I broke one of his and needed a quick repair so machined Al rings 2.047" x 2.165" x .08" (52x55x2mm) and used O rings 47x2.5mm inside them. You could turn Cu rings to the same dimensions. There must be Cu plumbing or refrigeration tubing available which could be turned to these dimensions, surely? ;)

Dynamiteboss

Active Forum User
VOC Member
If your infatuation with the look of copper is that great, you might like to machine Cu rings and fit O rings behind them similar to the
aluminium ringed seals available from Neal Videan. I broke one of his and needed a quick repair so machined Al rings 2.047" x 2.165" x .08" (52x55x2mm) and used O rings 47x2.5mm inside them. You could turn Cu rings to the same dimensions. There must be Cu plumbing or refrigeration tubing available which could be turned to these dimensions, surely? ;)
VERY interesting! Thanks for the detailed dimensions and O ring info. Definitely a possibility. AND it would seal better than a crush washer.

Last edited:

oexing

VOC Member
Same idea here, no copper seals for these places. In case surfaces were not quite clean and square onyl o-rings will seal well from oil leaks. So I made alu spacers around o-rings just a tad less thick than the rubber rings, so the cover will sit on the alu and squeeze the o-ring for sealing. And you will never lose the covers, the o-rings will secure them great.

Vic