C: Clutch Conways Honda Clutch

Comet Rider

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi all,
Just a quick question...
I need to pull the clutch to enable me to pull the gearbox for repair, but the clutch hub seems to be jammed onto the shaft.
Any easy way to pop the hub off, then I'm sorted.

Thanks
Neil

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I don't think you are alone in experiencing this difficulty, my Honda clutch is an original Colin Jenner one, I seem to remember that the splines are a very snug fit on the shaft, maybe a little too snug, I think Colin made them that way to compensate for any wear that might have occurred to corresponding Burman splines, the installer had the job of fettling the clutch splines to as near to a perfect fit as possible, bashing the clutch onto the Burman shaft was a definite no no! doing so can damage the gearbox.

Comet Rider

VOC Member
Cheers Peter,
Manged to get it off in the end.
I found that the thick Burman washer at the back had got hot and worn into the back of the basket slightly.

Neil

Last edited:

Montlhery

VOC Member
Does anyone know when Conways will finish their latest batch of these clutches ? Thinking about reverting to original Burman is their much difference ?

vibrac

VOC Member
I dont think for once its Conways fault the type of Honda clutch is not so available nowadays a search on this forum will reveal the Honda model used I guess like Vincents its not made anymore and also invariably modern bikes spares tend to stop shortly afterwards
I have never looked in detail but I guess if you have a suitable clutch its just a question of riveting it to the solid chainwheel from the back of the burman drum

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
The donor clutch used is from a 1970's Honda so not suprised they are difficult to find today. Occasionally one will appear on eBay which would almost mean a full time job for somebody at Conways to keep a constant eye out for them. Its not as simple as bolt onto a burman chainwheel as a special adaptor for the center is required which engages with the mainshaft. This adaptor uses a lot more of the mainshaft spline which is good as the original Burman adaptor only just engaged.
When I wanted a Honda / Burman clutch conversion I found and bought the Honda clutch myself and then sent it to Conways to be adapted etc.

I seem to remember its a Honda CJ360 clutch from mid 1970's but you may want to get that confirmed by Conways.

Montlhery

VOC Member
Thanks for the info Vibrac , It makes sense as I have been trying to get a clutch from Conways for months and months . It is clear they must not be able to get the donor ones. It is a shame as Greg says the gearchange is a lot better with the Conways clutch. I will have to work out what parts I can salvage and order new ones from the spares and other suppliers to rebuild the Burman. I presume there have been improvements. Does anyone know how many rollers are in the basket ? and I guess the 5 plate is better ?

greg brillus

VOC Member
The best shift quality I found was on the new "A" twins Neal and Rodney made.......this due to a dry running diaphragm clutch.......The Conway's clutch is better mostly because it is a better design and is new (or close to it).......At any rate, the best gearbox behavior comes from a clutch that does not drag, no matter what make it is.......most all these clutches run fine dry, and gear engagement and shifting will be fine.......however, once you add oil to the primary as you must to lube the chain......it all changes.......Some modern oils are too slippery on the clutch and it will slip unless you add super strong springs.......Unless your single puts out 35 plus HP this is simply not necessary........Some might disagree, but ATF works very well and don't overfill the primary as you are mostly lubricating the chain...... you don't need loads of oil on the clutch itself.......I tried some of the modern type oils in the primary of an "A" Comet I restored a few years back, and could not stop the clutch slipping........ATF sorted it out straight away.

vibrac

VOC Member
Watch those Burman rollers they are not 1/4" long ones they are undersize Vincent spares call them PR50-35X but they are special & expensive but since what they roll in is also 1/4" wide you need them (blame Burman)
On my flash I just sidestepped all the hassel and got a newby belt drive I would do it on my Comet but I have an electric start and a Honda Clutch
I did some deep digging on this forum and it did say the honda clutch came from a Honda CB/CJ 350 whatever that is