C: Clutch Conways Honda Clutch Plate

CoreyL

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I just bought a Honda clutch conversion kit from Conways for my post-war single. The plain steel and friction plates are all flat but the friction plates do not appear to be new in that they are not dry but have been oiled. Not sure if that's something that Conways does or if the plates were like that when Conways got the clutch and modified it for use in the Vincent.

So, my question is: should I degrease and re-oil the plates or use them as received? My inclination is to clean and re-oil them since I don't know what's on them now or how long it's been there. Can the plates be effectively degreased by spraying with carb/brake cleaner?

Also, the plain steel plates are stamped out of sheet and, like snap rings, have a sharp edge and a rounder edge. I assume it doesn't matter which side faces which way. Finally, the plain steels plates, in addition to having squared notches in their center, have little semi-circular notches. Are those notches functional (do they assist oil drainage from the basket?) and do I need to pay attention to their orientation when I place the plates in the basket (line them up/don't line them up?).

Thoughts? Opinions?

Comet Rider

VOC Member
Hi Corey
I have run one of the Conways Honda clutches for years.
No need to clean the friction plates, just soak them in what ever oil you will be running in the primary.
I fit the steels with the radiused side outwards
Be careful of the supplied push rod, as they do not supply it with hardened ends, so once to size heat to cherry red and quench in oil.

Any problems give me a shout
Neil

rapide049

Non-VOC Member
I just bought a Honda clutch conversion kit from Conways for my post-war single. The plain steel and friction plates are all flat but the friction plates do not appear to be new in that they are not dry but have been oiled. Not sure if that's something that Conways does or if the plates were like that when Conways got the clutch and modified it for use in the Vincent.

So, my question is: should I degrease and re-oil the plates or use them as received? My inclination is to clean and re-oil them since I don't know what's on them now or how long it's been there. Can the plates be effectively degreased by spraying with carb/brake cleaner?

Also, the plain steel plates are stamped out of sheet and, like snap rings, have a sharp edge and a rounder edge. I assume it doesn't matter which side faces which way. Finally, the plain steels plates, in addition to having squared notches in their center, have little semi-circular notches. Are those notches functional (do they assist oil drainage from the basket?) and do I need to pay attention to their orientation when I place the plates in the basket (line them up/don't line them up?).

Thoughts? Opinions?
Why dont you ask Conways??

Gene Nehring

VOC Member

Thoughts? Opinions?
I'll let you in on a dirty little secret. The clutches and plates are second hand. Hence the pre-loved look.

Watch the newly broached splines they’ll more than likely be tight. You’ll need to gentlely ease the splines to fit your shaft if they are.

On my clutch from them I was given no instructions. A couple of plates short and very used. I ordered new Kevlar plates from Barnett clutch. In all it cost time and money to make it work and that’s not including the cost from Conways.

Order a second hand cb360 clutch get it broached yourself. Happy days.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
I'll let you in on a dirty little secret. The clutches and plates are second hand. Hence the pre-loved look.

Watch the newly broached splines they’ll more than likely be tight. You’ll need to gentlely ease the splines to fit your shaft if they are.

On my clutch from them I was given no instructions. A couple of plates short and very used. I ordered new Kevlar plates from Barnett clutch. In all it cost time and money to make it work and that’s not including the cost from Conways.

Order a second hand cb360 clutch get it broached yourself. Happy days.
Gene,

Its not that simple as the back of the CB basket needs to be machined then the broached part needs to be custom made to fit into/on the plate carrier.

Martyn

Attachments

• 20201121_172900.jpg
    20201121_172900.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 20201121_173946.jpg
    20201121_173946.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 20201121_174003.jpg
    20201121_174003.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 28

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
Martyn,

After the issues I had, I bought three clutches and had a couple spares machined. I believe a person with a lathe could do. I am not sure if the fellows ability on a lathe. But it can be done and without the stress of dealing with conways.

You are right and there are a couple of areas that would tuff for a hobby machine operator. Broaching the spline is one.

A second hand clutch was 50AUD.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Or you can get an even more common 6 bush rubber cush drive clutch the same size and make a new sprocket with the holes the correct size and placement, and then make the new adapter after machining the Honda hub and then cut the particularly odd Burman spline in it. Been there and done that twice. Once for the TTR BAP burman and once for the post war Comet burman. It's quite a bit of work. My A twin came with a Honda clutch but I did make a new sprocket (53T) with 8 metric dia holes on the correct BCD.