Cylinder Head Conway's Alloy Cylinder Heads

Robert Watson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Has anyone out there actually bought one (or 2) of these and had them running on a bike??

I bought a pair for my A Rapide and found numerous issue with them, things that actually precluded them from being able to be assembled. After sorting most of the issues out and documenting them to Conway, and suggesting that it would appear that they had never actually assembled one and had it running I did get a sort of an apology. When I finally got them on the bike, with COVID and personal issues, and tracking down the suggested spark plugs (10mm) I did manage to get the engine to start but for only a couple of brief moments. The engine was fitted with a new BT-H ignition, of which one has no clue as to the range of the advance curve, so as one would I got a old MO2 base mount Lucas body, a set of triumph points, and an early Harley twin fire 6V coil and condenser, and managed again to barley start the engine. I began to look elsewhere and inquired to Conway's about the proper plugs and they came back with the plugs that I had installed. I started to wonder, having not put plugs in when the heads were not yet installed, I made a little wire from some welding rod and checked the depth of the plug holes, sure enough they are made to take a 3/4 in reach plug, unlike original heads which take a 1/2 in reach plug. I found some appropriate plugs and now the engine will actually start fairly easily and even remain running....... I documented this to Conway's, again suggesting they have never actually assembled and run one of these heads.
as you can imagine, after a few days no response

Anyone else play with these???

Robert

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
About to go yes.
On a Comet A.

What plug do you use Robert?

I guess Neal V. Has them on the rapide A. That runs very fine

Robert Watson

VOC Member
NGK CR6E

C = 10mm
R = Resistor
6 = Heat range (I will try colder 7 when all is sorted)
E = 3/4 inch reach

Some things on the heads

Rocker pin thread holes on the inside not tapped deep enough (no bottoming tap used) so pins did not seat before becoming thread bound X4
Could not install/assemble rocker decompression lifters as the parts fouled the casting inside X2
Rockers and valve collars fouled casting and could not close the valves X 4

There were others but the worst communication from a supplier ever............

Cyborg

VOC Member
I tried to buy a RFM from them, but gave up. Their communication skills and business acumen absolutely stink.

Alyson

VOC Member
I tried to buy a RFM from them, but gave up. Their communication skills and business acumen absolutely stink.
are you still looking for an RFM ? I have a C series RFM from a Shadow that my tight little fingers could let go of... ;)