Computer nerd needed

John Cone

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Guys,
went to bed lastnight turning off the pc, got up this morning and switched it on to find that Windows updates had been at work. i found my desktop picture had returned to the M/S default picture, my document and all other saved files gone. Switched user to find my lads side ok. I carried out a system restore and got everything back on my side but if the lad logs on his site up looks into my files via My computer it shows my files are empty and he cannot access any of my files or pictures. i can access his from my side.. Any ideas.
PS: The only update yesterday was something call "Silverlight" from M/Soft

Last edited:

Albervin

VOC Member
Do you have a remote back-up drive? If not then I suspect that "deep poo" is what you are in. What is your MSOS (Windows 2000, 7, ??) As a Mac man I can only give you a shoulder to cry on plus basic support.

John Cone

VOC Member
Oh yes, everything is backed up automatically and that also includes any glitches in the system. I have manage to sort it out now after many hours of resetting the registry files. But thanks for getting back.

bcrw47

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Have you changed the update setting to 'download but let me choose whether to install them' ?, you can also change whichever of the downloadable updates to 'hide update' by right clicking on the relevant selection, a whole range can be selected by holding down the 'shift key' and selecting the 1st and last file, then doing the hide thing............

Bernard