Comet wire loom routing

craig

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I need a period photo of a Vincent, preferably Comet, with the tank off to show the factory wire loom route at the front of the UFM. I have the basic idea of being tucked in at point 1, held down by clip at point 2 ........but i would like to see the lower points at 3 and 4
thanks
Craig

Attachments

• UFMDrawingLeftside.jpg
    UFMDrawingLeftside.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 64

craig

VOC Member
Naked Comet

I was able to get a Comet owner to take his tank off! After studing this Comet arrangment, which at first seems very logical, i think if i was the factory, i would have done it differently. My thought would be to get everything out of the way for easy tank removal. Tank removal on a Vincent is not smooth due to the oil tank filler and tight fit of the forward tank rubbers.
Craig

Attachments

• theVincentDotCom3503.jpg
    theVincentDotCom3503.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 88

clevtrev

VOC Member
I was able to get a Comet owner to take his tank off! After studing this Comet arrangment, which at first seems very logical, i think if i was the factory, i would have done it differently. My thought would be to get everything out of the way for easy tank removal. Tank removal on a Vincent is not smooth due to the oil tank filler and tight fit of the forward tank rubbers.
Craig

I`ve lived with it for 53 years, what`s the problem ?

craig

VOC Member
Hi Trev, actually tank fit is not my real issue here. I am wanting period photos of series C bikes with tank off left side, hopefully something at the factory. or at a dealer or a road test 1951, etc.
Craig

Albervin

VOC Member
Craig
I, and I am sure many others, have tried to route wires & cables along the UFM to "improve" things. The problem is there is very little room to play with & cables really need to find their most comfortable position
to obtain smooth operation. My last (failed) attempt caused a throttle cable to stick causing a rapid rise in heart rate for moi. I wish you luck in your endeavours. Place a cut down inner tube around the oil inlet to protect your paint &
put the tank on & off without the rubbers installed.

craig

VOC Member
Period 1950-54 photos requested, left side gas tank off.

Place a cut down inner tube around the oil inlet to protect your paint & put the tank on & off without the rubbers installed.

I like this inner tube tip! thank you

I am to understand the FT80's are shown the wrong direction on the parts list? and these are to be installed after tank front mounts are just about in place?

I am still request a link to period Vincent photos or post here , of the left side , gas tank off
thanks
Craig

Attachments

• GastankFrontRubbersFT80small.jpg
    GastankFrontRubbersFT80small.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 79

ET43

Non-VOC Member
Hi Craig,
You ought to be called Eagle Eyes. How many times have I looked at that drawing and not noticed the error. I am still wrestling with a possible copyright issue regarding the Burman book, so please do not hold your breath. Cheers, ET43

timetraveller

VOC Member
ERRRR! It could be old age or what mother warned me about but it looks the correct way round to me. In fact there is only one way round it could go as the larger diameter end would not fit through the hole in the tank bracket.

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
norman,
you must have heeded what your mother told you, as the tank rubbers as shown are correct.
stumpy lord

clevtrev

VOC Member
I like this inner tube tip! thank you

I am to understand the FT80's are shown the wrong direction on the parts list? and these are to be installed after tank front mounts are just about in place?

I am still request a link to period Vincent photos or post here , of the left side , gas tank off
thanks
Craig

If you are referring to the drawing MO19, yes the rubbers are shown the wrong way. Your thumbnail shows the correct way. Should be obvious that the large diameter should be between the headstock and the tank ears, to give a buffer protection.