G: Gearbox (Single - Burman) Comet: Seal between the Burman gearbox and Primary Case?

weevil.knievel

Forum User
VOC Member
Hi,

Is it correct that there is nothing preventing oil getting out and dirt getting into the Primary case on a Comet 500? The slotted hole that the Burman shaft pokes into Primary case is totally unsealed right?

Also, given the close proximity of oil and clutch components, is the Comet clutch considered a Wet or Dry clutch?

Regards,

Julian

chankly bore

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Well, it doesn't run in an oil bath like a Honda. The internal construction of the primary case is designed to keep oil mostly on the bottom chain run, even if it gets flung about a bit, hence my remarks on oil level and sealing.

greg brillus

VOC Member
On several Comets I've done including a pre war model, on the large washer that sits against the splined flange on the gearbox main shaft, I've glued on a cork washer that takes up the gap between the inner face of the steel washer and the alloy face of the inner primary cover.......take into account the end float on the gearbox main shaft by pulling the shaft to the left.......measure this gap as best you can, then glue on a disc of flat sheet cork, then thin it down if needed so it lightly kisses the alloy case.......assemble with a light coat of grease, and this will mostly cure that pesky oil leak.........Good luck with it........Cheers........G.

oexing

VOC Member
We had that topic recently and I´d have a v-ring for seal, a bit like an oil thrower but with a soft lip sitting axially on a sheet of stainless. So then you can shift the gearbox for chain tensioning by min. 5 mm either way, as long as the lip still acts on the stainless. The v-ring is all rubber so you just pull it on the shaft and push it close to the stainless for a gap of 5-7mm - simple. Same v-ring may go on the outside for keeping dirt and water out of the primary.

Vic

v-ring

P1030165.JPG

P1030170.JPG