Misc: Everything Else Comet Re-Commisioning

Steve Morris

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi all,

OK, this is probably an 'overdone' subject, but here goes.

Having searched the forum i have found (i think at least) the answers, but wanted to check with the forum first.

My bike has not been used in the last 4 years so before i ride it i want to re-commision it. Change the engine oil and filter, change the gearbox oil, service adjustments etc. So my question is, do we have a 'definitive' list of must do's and don'ts when re-commisioning?

Also i want to check i have read correctly the oil and filter change procedure.

1. Oil is drained from the feed pipe by removing the banjo bolt, under the r/h side (timing cover). Then when re-filling, allow clean oil to run from the feed pipe before re-fitting to avoid air locks.
2. Soak new oil filter in oil before re-fitting to reduce the time the engine has to wait for oil due to the oil filter chamber filling time. (I also read that maybe laying the bike over on the r/h side and filling the chamber before re-fitting the cap will help, but does anybody actually do this? seems a bit extreme to me?).
3. Regarding which oil to use, it seems like its all down to personal preference, but what is the best oil to use in these machines?

Any thoughts or other advice would be welcome.

Best regards,

Steve.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Rather than lay the bike on the right side, some squirt in oil through the banjo bolt hole while the bike is on the left hand prop stand.

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
Hi all,

OK, this is probably an 'overdone' subject, but here goes.

Having searched the forum i have found (i think at least) the answers, but wanted to check with the forum first.

My bike has not been used in the last 4 years so before i ride it i want to re-commision it. Change the engine oil and filter, change the gearbox oil, service adjustments etc. So my question is, do we have a 'definitive' list of must do's and don'ts when re-commisioning?

Also i want to check i have read correctly the oil and filter change procedure.

1. Oil is drained from the feed pipe by removing the banjo bolt, under the r/h side (timing cover). Then when re-filling, allow clean oil to run from the feed pipe before re-fitting to avoid air locks.
2. Soak new oil filter in oil before re-fitting to reduce the time the engine has to wait for oil due to the oil filter chamber filling time. (I also read that maybe laying the bike over on the r/h side and filling the chamber before re-fitting the cap will help, but does anybody actually do this? seems a bit extreme to me?).
3. Regarding which oil to use, it seems like its all down to personal preference, but what is the best oil to use in these machines?

Any thoughts or other advice would be welcome.

Best regards,

Steve.
hi,
see know thy beast second edition page246 appendix v11 for comprehensive instructions by Ron Kemp on staring up a rebuilt engine, it includes the best way to fill the engine , priming, starting up, and bedding down two and half pages alto gether.
stumpy lord

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Thanks for all you replies.

So, which oil??

Steve.
Looks like another oil thread; be prepared for lots of replies that will just confuse the issue. ;)
Almost any modern engine oil you put in the UFM will be better than the oils available when your Comet was made. I'd go for a multigrade 10-40 maybe for winter, 20-50 maybe for summer, especially if the weather stays like it is today, beautiful. (Cue Vibrac saying use "R".;););))

vibrac

VOC Member
what oil? aR! thats a difficult question..
over 50% of my Vincents are on Castrol R
and 50% are on the road
otherwise Halfords 20-50 I believe that is the same as good old green Duckhams but I am inclined to think that articles on here may have the answer by suggesting a lighter viscosity on the road and the reduced mileage encountered nowadays

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
For me , Single grade 40 in Summer, 30 in Winter, Or if your bike is worn out like my Comet, 50 to help stop Smoking !. Cheers Bill.

Steve Morris

VOC Member
It looks like Halfords 20/50 classic oil unless anyone strongly disapproves!
Screen Shot 2018-05-02 at 09.48.13.png