E: Engine Comet Mongrel

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Buttoned up the clutch (from Bob Newby Racing) today. Didn't feel like torquing the hub nut to 70 ft lbs (Commando gearbox) as suggested on the inter webs. Even with a new circlip installed the correct way around, 70 seems like a lot to ask of it. Used less torque and blue thread locker on squeaky clean threads, and will check it after a few miles. Either atrophy has set in over the winter or that clutch takes a bit of pressure to release. Anyone out there that has a comment about the lever pressure/effort it takes with these clutches? Its adjusted as per the instructions.

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
MSVH on Salt Spring Island has a AMC box on his comet. Maybe DM him. He just put about 150miles or so on the bike. Be good to see the bike at one of our rides. We were all down in Lyden, Washington and it was a good time.

Cyborg

VOC Member
MSVH on Salt Spring Island has a AMC box on his comet. Maybe DM him. He just put about 150miles or so on the bike. Be good to see the bike at one of our rides. We were all down in Lyden, Washington and it was a good time.

I was there. Nice to see that lovely Lightning.

Part of it may be the lever I'm using, Its off a GSXR and the cable end is about 4 mm farther away from the pivot bolt than on a Doherty lever. Don't really want to change the lever, because it matches the M/C I'm using.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Part of it may be the lever I'm using, Its off a GSXR and the cable end is about 4 mm farther away from the pivot bolt than on a Doherty lever. Don't really want to change the lever, because it matches the M/C I'm using.
Why not just put another lever on with a smaller pivot to cable distance and see how much difference the better lever ratio makes? At least that would identify one possible cause of your heavy clutch. The change in lever doesn't have to be permanent. You can then make a decision as to whether you prefer form over function or vice versa.

vibrac

VOC Member
Buttoned up the clutch (from Bob Newby Racing) today. Didn't feel like torquing the hub nut to 70 ft lbs (Commando gearbox) as suggested on the inter webs. Even with a new circlip installed the correct way around, 70 seems like a lot to ask of it. Used less torque and blue thread locker on squeaky clean threads, and will check it after a few miles. Either atrophy has set in over the winter or that clutch takes a bit of pressure to release. Anyone out there that has a comment about the lever pressure/effort it takes with these clutches? Its adjusted as per the instructions.
I have a Newby clutch on my Albion Flash and another on the racing Comet with a burman box and a norton mainshaft and one on my Egli Comet with a AMC Norton box we also had one on the egli twin all belt drive they are all light and easy to use. I have a Conways Honda clutch on the road comet and thats a swine to pull apart from the Flash none of them has the standard lever all alloy ones with adjusters

Bill Cannon

VOC Member
I have a Newby clutch on my Albion Flash and another on the racing Comet with a burman box and a norton mainshaft and one on my Egli Comet with a AMC Norton box we also had one on the egli twin all belt drive they are all light and easy to use. I have a Conways Honda clutch on the road comet and thats a swine to pull apart from the Flash none of them has the standard lever all alloy ones with adjusters
Tim, did you need to modify the release lever at all on the twin? I'm thinking about chqanging to a Newby clutch.
Bill

vibrac

VOC Member
I just used the Voc Spares ET27/2ss adjuster at the gearbox end which makes a small difference I also made up a circular plate with a tangential hole and holes for studs and locating holes for pillars to hold the center while I did centre nut up (or down) I admit I am biased I have known Bob since we both raced in the sixties, he is based not far from VOC headquarters