Comet Gearbox

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I don't think so, I remember Don saying "have a go, see what you think" In the paddock at Silverstone, Then I think he remembered I had done 10 years of Sprinting !! He looked a bit sick, and said "Be gentle ". Lots of Fun, Bill.

russell hartley

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Russell,
Thanks for that Great picture with some nice detail on your bike I have a Norton/AMC box so might try it I have a Bob Nebby clutch and belt drive fitted so
wont need to much adjustment . Love your catch tray where did you get it?

I would not recommend it for a street bike. I have used the BAR for years and it is an incredible gearbox, but it is a true racing box made from magnesium and no kick starter. It is quite a bit of work to fit with making all new plates spacers and modifying the F106. Finally, it is expensive. I thought that it was well worth the price because it gave so much reliability and the shifting is flawless. However, I had to travel thousands of miles to attend Bonneville and Miller as well as other racing venues. The cost of failure was too high to be cheap. Ken Genecco on the Ex-Dickerson Flash went to Miller 6 times and raced in only one complete event with the Albion box. The Albion is a good box, but the gears are not made of EN36 and it sheds teeth at a high rate.

Bruce makes a Norton box with a kick starter and it can be had in 4, 5 or 6 speeds if that is important. I would look for a used Norton box with a kick start. It is inexpensive, robust and relatively easy to fit, mostly because so many owners have done so.

David

davidd

VOC Member
Russell,

The Newby clutch and belt drive has worked very well for me for over a decade. I think the AMC is the best choice.

I made the oil catch pan when it was required by AHRMA rules. It is fiberglass and held on with quarter turn fittings. I wanted a nice shape because the engine is so good looking. A cookie sheet just didn't do it! It is quite a revelation to have a Vincent that does not leave oil drippings everywhere, including the van.

David

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
Bruce makes a Norton box with a kick starter and it can be had in 4, 5 or 6 speeds if that is important. I would look for a used Norton box with a kick start. It is inexpensive, robust and relatively easy to fit, mostly because so many owners have done so.
Hi David, can you tell me which model of Norton box is the easiest to fit, wouldn't mind a five speed in the Comet.
Regards
Kevin

highbury731

VOC Member
TT Industries do a Burman but its a AJS 7R type they also do a Burman BAR actually quoted in their advert "For Vincent Grey Flash" Imagining the cost and the fact that the 1950's IOM team threw them out for Albions I kept the faith for my Grey Flash replica and fitted an Albion (the jury is still out) . In any case Gearbox choice for the Comet becomes a lot easier if you use a belt drive its fixed centers make fitting any box a lot easier since you dont have to allow for adjustment slots and swing (A fact not often mentioned)

From looking at the pictures, the various boxes offered (Norton, Burman, AMC for early 7R, BSA) seem to differ in external appearance, but are based on the same internals. The outer covers and mounting lugs differ, to provide replicas of the various makers' boxes. It looks to me as though= the gear clusters derive distantly from Norton practice. The selector cam is a rotating drum more like a Burman. I promise to wash my mouth out!

It may amuse that the early 7R box supplied by Burman to AMC actually used Norton gears. Well, when Norton bought the ownership rights to the Sturmey Archer box in 1932, they had them made by Burman. Yes, folks, Burman made all, ALL Norton gearboxes up to the AMC/Norton box introduced in 1956

davidd

VOC Member
Hi David, can you tell me which model of Norton box is the easiest to fit, wouldn't mind a five speed in the Comet.
Regards
Kevin

Kevin,

Sorry for the slow response, but I have used an Atlas box and a Commando box. I like the Commando box, but it depends on what is available.

David

davidd

VOC Member
Thanks David, any particular year model?

Kevin

Kevin,

I do not know a lot about the Norton boxes, so I have used what was available. I posted a new thread on fitting the boxes as I have some photos. Someone who knows Nortons well might be able to enlighten us both.

David