Comet Gearbox Noises

BigEd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Hello Eddy, John says he has the Honda clutch, And I have read that the twin multi clutches need a thin oil, All The Best, Bill.
Dear Bill,
That is interesting as I had a multi plate clutch on my Rapide. (It wasn't a Japanese one but a C1/V type.) The clutch was new and came with the rest of the bits of bike in the basket case purchase. I read about various ideas of drilling holes in the case to allow a small amount of oil into the clutch compartment. I never tried this as I found that when the clutch was clean and dry it performed very nicely but as soon as it got a very small amount of oil on one of the plates it would have a very erratic and abrupt take up. (Never figured that one out, you would think a bit of oil would promote some slip for a more gentle take up.:confused:) Perhaps I should have persevered and tried running it fully wet.
I eventually gave up and sorted through the bits and found that I had almost a complete Vincent twin clutch. I had a few problems with primary case oil getting past the seals which I tracked down to a slightly undersize diameter on the C3 clutch shoe carrier. Once I managed to keep the oil out I spent quite a bit of time experimenting with the adjustment of the pressure on the OP11 & PD27 springs in the clutch shoes. With these set correctly the clutch is a delight to use, very light at the control lever and progressive.
I also have a Ducati twin and that uses a dry clutch. That gets grabby when the dust builds up on the plates.
I know that fitting a Japanese clutch is said to be a good mod and as far as I know all the big Japanese bikes run their clutches in oil and they seem to be bullet proof and able to transmit lots of power. I guess the road to success is to get the right friction material for the application whether wet or dry.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Eddy, Yes I did the same as you, I had to run Multi plate clutches for racing, But I remember going to a big Rally, And dear old Don Alexander Helped Me sort out some old Vin' standard parts, As the poor old hands play up, Standard is Best !!, Cheers Bill.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Hello Eddy, Yes I did the same as you, I had to run Multi plate clutches for racing, But I remember going to a big Rally, And dear old Don Alexander Helped Me sort out some old Vin' standard parts, As the poor old hands play up, Standard is Best !!, Cheers Bill.
Not clutch related but re Don Alexander. At a Coventry Section Berkswell club night he was the first person you went to if you wanted to know something about a Vincent. He is sadly missed.
It is not the same as having a good chat with Don but we are lucky to have this forum where we can ask questions and share knowledge.