COMET FRONT SPRING BOX RENOVATION

Steve Morris

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have had the Comet for several years now, and have never really been happy with the look of the front spring boxes. They are meant to be black as standard but sometime during its 74 year life somebody has had the upper sections chromed, and added gaiters (picture 1). So i decided to paint them back to the original black but didn't want them to stand out as too immaculate as the bike has never been restored fully, and there are too many shiny Vincents out there..

Started with stripping the boxes off, and removing springs. The problem with the gaiters is they can have the opposite effect to the reasons why they were fitted, as in holding moisture in. Thats exactly what had happened here. With moisture in the lower section the mild steel corroded, and when i stripped and cleaned them off some holes were apparent. These I soldered up and filed down, there's no oil in there, only a good smearing of grease, so unless they are overly packed it won't cause a problem anyway, but I soldered them up nonetheless. After removing all old paint etc I gave them a good rub down with some emery, didn't want a mirror finish like i said, i almost wanted the 'rough' look. A couple of coats with some zinc etch primer and then 5 coats of Halfords Gloss Black, then a couple of nights to harden in the airing cupboard before 2 coats of clear coat. I also rebushed the fork blades and the upper mounts, had some oilite bronze bushes in the garage and just had to machine a bit off the end to get the correct length. All in all a good job, well pleased with the results!

Attachments

• Before..Chromed.jpeg
    Before..Chromed.jpeg
    152.1 KB · Views: 41
  • Holes soldered up.jpeg
    Holes soldered up.jpeg
    114.1 KB · Views: 41
  • Solder filed back.jpeg
    Solder filed back.jpeg
    104.2 KB · Views: 39
  • Cleaned back ready for primer.jpeg
    Cleaned back ready for primer.jpeg
    131 KB · Views: 39
  • First coat of primer done in homemade spray booth.jpeg
    First coat of primer done in homemade spray booth.jpeg
    153.1 KB · Views: 38
  • Home made bush tool.jpeg
    Home made bush tool.jpeg
    162.4 KB · Views: 36
  • Bush tool in action.jpeg
    Bush tool in action.jpeg
    87.3 KB · Views: 35
  • New bush fitted.jpeg
    New bush fitted.jpeg
    105.3 KB · Views: 36
  • Looking good.jpeg
    Looking good.jpeg
    117.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Done.jpeg
    Done.jpeg
    149.3 KB · Views: 41
Last edited by a moderator:

oexing

VOC Member
Or maybe have the venting hole at the bottom, facing to the rear of the bike ? So any water may exit there.

Vic

vibrac

VOC Member
Either way if you doubt it try pumping the empty spring tubes in and out before assembly and imagine adding grease filled springs to the mix

CarlHungness

VOC Member
I lined the upper boxes with UHMW and it keeps them from rubbing on the bottoms. I did the same with the rear spring boxes
and it's worked a treat. I don't recall just how I was able to glue them in, but at the time it was a major obstacle. I may have used
contact cement and inveigled the UHMW in before it touched the contact cement. The ploy has lasted over 20 years and I was ever
so happy to not have scratched up lower boxes. I think I polished the boxes within an inch of their life and then had them hard
chromed so they'd at least be shiny. My rears are from Justin MacKay Smith, longer...and believe I have longer spring in the front
as well.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I lined the upper boxes with UHMW and it keeps them from rubbing on the bottoms. I did the same with the rear spring boxes
and it's worked a treat. I don't recall just how I was able to glue them in, but at the time it was a major obstacle. I may have used
contact cement and inveigled the UHMW in before it touched the contact cement. The ploy has lasted over 20 years and I was ever
so happy to not have scratched up lower boxes. I think I polished the boxes within an inch of their life and then had them hard
chromed so they'd at least be shiny. My rears are from Justin MacKay Smith, longer...and believe I have longer spring in the front
as well.
What is UHMW?

timetraveller

VOC Member
It is actually 'ultra high molecular weight poly Ethelene'. I have seen it used for testing machining programs for large components prior to cutting metal as it cuts easily and the test can be carried out at high speed. Another advantage is it is dimensionally stable so does not warp after cutting.