Comet Dynamo shaft Seal

nkt267

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hugo..I'm guessing it's the same trick used in setting gears on a lathe, you put a fag(cigarette) paper between the gears on assembly and if the paper just shows the teeth marks without cutting the paper the gears are in mesh with almost no backlash..The paper comes through the gears crimped like an Elizabethan ruff..John

Black Flash

VOC Member
Well Hugo,
it is so simple, I feel ashamed really. Buy some fagpaper, this time not the very thin almost look trough type you buy to set the timing using between the points.
Go and buy some that is a bit thicker and smooth, usually very bright withe called OCB over here.
With a lot of backslash turn the engine over and feed one stripe of the paper from behind between the big idler and the dynamo pinion. it is essentiel to feed enough so the paper get a nice zig zag form. you leave the paper in between the gears, adjust the alton to what you think is just about nil to very very little play and bolt it down. turn the engine a bit to free the paper from between he gears and you are certain you have a nice little play, without being to tight.

In fact, it is much easier and faster to do than the whole description here.
sorry I did not want to teach any granny how to suck eggs.

Bernd

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Many thanks, Bernd & John. This granny was a bit lacking in the egg sucking department. Incidentally I sealed my Comet Alton with silicon. After a few hundred miles it has begun to leak. I will replace it with Hylomar and this time setting the meshing will be more accurate.

Hugo

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
Well Hugo,
it is so simple, I feel ashamed really. Buy some fagpaper, this time not the very thin almost look trough type you buy to set the timing using between the points.
Go and buy some that is a bit thicker and smooth, usually very bright withe called OCB over here.
With a lot of backslash turn the engine over and feed one stripe of the paper from behind between the big idler and the dynamo pinion. it is essentiel to feed enough so the paper get a nice zig zag form. you leave the paper in between the gears, adjust the alton to what you think is just about nil to very very little play and bolt it down. turn the engine a bit to free the paper from between he gears and you are certain you have a nice little play, without being to tight.

In fact, it is much easier and faster to do than the whole description here.
sorry I did not want to teach any granny how to suck eggs.

Bernd
Hi Bernd, very good explanation, like Hugo the "fag paper" method had me stumped too.

Thanks mate, I now have my lip stuck between the Big Idler and Dynamo pinion, burning tobacco and egg shells all through the timing case and me granny won't talk to me anymore....note to self "read posts in DETAIL before attempting this next time"

Regards
Kevin

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
Hugo..I'm guessing it's the same trick used in setting gears on a lathe, you put a fag(cigarette) paper between the gears on assembly and if the paper just shows the teeth marks without cutting the paper the gears are in mesh with almost no backlash..The paper comes through the gears crimped like an Elizabethan ruff..John

An Elizabethans WHAT?

Black Flash

VOC Member
Good job you live in Australia, not in America.
so there is a chance I won't get fined. and have to sell my house.
If you read carefully, I did not mention to feed in the paper holding it with your lips!
;-)

cheers
Bernie

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
Good job you live in Australia, not in America.
so there is a chance I won't get fined. and have to sell my house.
If you read carefully, I did not mention to feed in the paper holding it with your lips!
;-)

cheers
Bernie

yeah but you didn't say NOT too either, I thought that was how you held a cigarette.:(