Comet Burman Kick starter bumper

Tug Wilson

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Surely this is the kickstart return bumper. Leaving it out will just give more free play before the quadrant engages but the kickstart will operate exactly the same. Letting the kickstart up gently rather than letting the return spring throw it against the stop should reduce damage to the dowel if no stop is fitted and prevent damge and breaking up if one is fitted.
On a long mileage Ariel Burman box I have the missing bump stop has resulted in the post socket cracking the aluminum casing requiring welding, so fit the bump stop!

Jim Richardson

VOC Member
I think that on mine the hole was worn, so I opened it out slightly, to get back to round, but didn't go right through.
then made an oversize pin, retained by a screw and washer from the back.

craig

VOC Member
I opened up the bumper rubber hole with a round rasp file until it was fairly close , then plastic hammered the new bumper on to the dowel. Fit a new outer case gasket, assembled all with no problems. filled with Castrol 000 grease , Ready for trial. The distance in degrees has been reduced as expected from "bumper stop" position to "engaging gears " for start. .....but still seems reasonable.
I have never noticed an "end of kick" stop before, as Robin states. I will report how this new steel encased rubber kick starter stop plays into this.

A_HRD

VOC Member
Conscious of Robin's advice decades ago not to use the metal encased rubber bumpers, I simply cut a piece of nylon-reinforced clear plastic fuel pipe to length, then warmed it up and pressed it on with a bit of super-glue or loctite (whatever was available - can't remember). I've never had occasion to re-visit it, so I guess it works just fine.

The pre-war BAP boxes (HRD/Ariel/Panther) were particularly venerable to the alloy cracking around the dowel if left without any shock-absorbtion. Much less metal support around them than with postwar boxes. Can't really blame Mr Burman - after all they weren't designed to last 80 years!!

Peter B
Bristol, UK.
STILL WANTED: Series A Front Frame.