Comet Burman Kick starter bumper

craig

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I opened up my Comet Burman gearbox and went to install a kick start bumper ( mine had been missing for some time now). The bumper has been rolling around my bench top for some months now and I have forgotten where I purchased it ......but probably Draganfly as they have a lot of Burman parts. The stud for kick stop is much larger than the bore in the steel encased bumper. Just like this IPB!
So my question is - Am I not aware of something to fit this bumper in place? The bumper appears the correct OD for this app, and yes I can drill this rubber bore out to more closely fit.
I always have pictures but not this moment , I will return with cell photos.
Cheers
Craig
BurmanCometKSBumper.jpg

craig

VOC Member
Picture to show bumper bore versus existing peg, pin or dowel. Is there some secret to installing this steel encased bumper?
20141211_BurmanKickBumper.jpg

robin

VOC Member
You fit this part at your peril. They have long standing reputation for breaking up and the debris jamming third gear.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Robin, I remember you told us about it a long time ago, I have been worried ever since !, If you left it out do you have to put the lever round a few splines ?, Cheers Bill.

b'knighted

VOC Member
Surely this is the kickstart return bumper. Leaving it out will just give more free play before the quadrant engages but the kickstart will operate exactly the same. Letting the kickstart up gently rather than letting the return spring throw it against the stop should reduce damage to the dowel if no stop is fitted and prevent damge and breaking up if one is fitted.

robin

VOC Member
This stop acts as a stop for both ends of the k/s/quadrant. It is the downwards action when starting that wrecks the bush. The steel outer case breaks up and migrates into 3rd gear. I leave the rest to your imagination

alscomet

VOC Member
I didnt even know I needed one,I wonder what else I have missing on the bike and should I make a list for Christmas or wait until next Black Friday at the Spares Company .