Comet badly tuned or just underpowered?

mercurycrest

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Two up again this weekend and there was still some of the pinging noise if I accelerated hard from low speed, but otherwise better power -

I think you'll find that a "5" NGK heat range is too hot for a Vincent engine, especially a Comet. If you insist on NGK's (ick!) go to a "6" heat range. Next, sort out your carb as Tom G. has just described.
You're nearly there. Cheers John

nkt267

VOC Member
2 up on my Comet that has Mk2 cams with standard compression cruising is 60/65. 70 2 up is possible for nearly allday but is not ideal, watch the fuel disappear at the same rate as a twin.80 is possible 2 up but I would'nt want to push it that hard for too long, even though I have:D:D
Moderate hills 2 up are 60 with still a little acceleration. Steep hills, like the run out of Ramsey up the mountain, I could only get 60 in 3rd or top.
Combined weight of me and the wife around 23 stone.
With just me onboard I'll have a go at anything I can get past, I out accelerated my mates Venom Clubman till I got up to 85 and then the Venom sailed past me.
The Comet is overgeared, it is a tourer. I have spoken to people who have rode them with sidecar gearing and they say that the bike is completely transformed.
I find that a Comet is a great fun bike and it is good for what it is, it is not a twin or a performance bike.But it will out turn a lot of othe bikes even modern ones, it is a very responsive ride in my opinion. If you want your Comet to go nearly as well as as twin then you will have to go 90 bore, I hear that's the nearest you'll get to twin speed and power. Please enjoy your Comet and don't let the Twin fraternity tell you it's half a Vincent or a 'Vomet':mad: and that when you grow up you'll need a twin, I for one cannot afford a second mortgage.
If you desire a twin then I hope you realise you dreams but a Comet is a Comet accept it for what it is--A Great Vincent..John

davidd

VOC Member
Gwild,

I would use a 50T sprocket. Most of the twin owners I know run 48T. On the racer, I run a 52T for slow circuits and a 50 for fast ones with a 21TCS. I think I used a 46T at Bonneville, but I was unable to hit redline in 3rd, so I did not dare shift. The lesson is to start big and go smaller.

David

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Gwild, Do yourself some good and try the better petrol, I know it's a lot of money but it is much better stuff. I also think you are pushing your luck with this speed thing !! I have raced a Comet = Black Flash !! and they were never that quick, Plus they are 60 years old now. Try not to brake it !!. I must be getting old, I have Blown up more Vins than that !! Good Luck Bill.