Combination Magneto / Dynamo

ET43

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
The twin and single grp cowl moulds went to Draganfly Motorcycles, and like the Craven moulds, nothing has been done with them. I have to say though that they were difficult to make and not cost effective, so I was glad to see the back of them. ET43

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Thanks Bruce, You have just made me think, I used a Dynamo that has a set of points driven off of it, Some years ago, On my Comet, I think it came off an AJS or something, Must be in the shed ??, I wanted to use my alternator from Time/Trav' but it's another way round a problem, Cheers Bill.

nobby

VOC Member
This German magdyno must be perfect to use with chopped cases? During the 2007 Annual at the IoM I was told several riders came from Germany with magdynos on their bikes to test them and with good results.
Expensive but if you need it, the money worth!
And for the cowls, I am using one of those for years and years now, was bought for racing but I like them better then the originals.

Howard

VOC Member
Am I being thick, or is it the alcohol?

I can see that the three pieces fit together to make the dynamo spin faster - great idea, I've been puzzling how to do that (in the standard dynamo position) BUT Where's the mag???? and Where does that manual advance part bolt on????

H

timetraveller

VOC Member
Re. Bill Thomas' reply above; with a Walkernator on a Comet it would be possible to make an ignition system that worked off the dynamo/magneto drive as it runs at engine speed. The alternator itself is geared up and runs at about 1.25 times engine speed. With the twins the dynamo runs at 1.25 times engine speed so any ignition system there would need to be geared down, On the twins the alternator runs at about double engine speed Note that in all cases poly vee belts are used, which can slip, so that there is no way one could run an ignition system from the alternator.

b'knighted

VOC Member
I believe that the Lucas Rita system that I used on my old Comet was driven by a plain shaft in the dummy mag. As it was a twin system it provided a wasted spark off the second lobe of the asymmetric cam. If this was run on the end of a dummy Comet dynamo with a single cam lobe at engine speed I think it would give a wasted spark towards the top of the exhaust stroke. This would equate to running a wasted spark on a parallel twin. I believe that it was set at full advance and electronically retarded when the revs were low.
I was very impressed with my secondhand Lucas Rita system as it consistently provided a powerful spark regardless of rotational speed, even with the battery voltage so low that it wouldn't light the LED lamps.
Mistral are now producing a new version which, as it automatically turns off if the cam does not excite it for a few seconds but turns back on once excited, could probably be used like a magneto. Mistral used to retune the Rita advance curve for Comets although I ran mine with a twin amplifier. I therefore assume that they will know how tune the new re-mappable version even more easily.

Albervin

VOC Member
If the Euro continues to free fall against the Aussie dollar then I can see a few of these heading down South; along with European Vincents. For too long Australians have been burdened by poor exchange rates and high postage costs. Now we are going to fight back and plunder :)

tigervinnie

Active Forum User
VOC Member
This system is running since 2007. Yes Nobby you are right. The IOM in 2007 was the first longer testride. The system is now extremly modified since than. The dynamo starts charging with tickover. The maximum output is around 150W. The ignition is an electronic one and the pickups are located in a special designed magneto cover. A modified new magneto cowl is available too. For more informations please contact: info@vincentsparesgermany.com

Reinhard

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
If the Euro continues to free fall against the Aussie dollar then I can see a few of these heading down South; along with European Vincents. For too long Australians have been burdened by poor exchange rates and high postage costs. Now we are going to fight back and plunder :)

B#ggers still get us at customs though Alyn (if we do the "plunder" they will do the rape and pillage) :-(