Chain Lube

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I had a tin of Duckhams back in the 1970s and it really smoked when it boiled. I now use Putoline and it smells quite nice. Big mistake I made a few years ago was to have the tin/chain 5 metres from where I hung the chain to dry. A nice trail of wax across the floor which was removed after a lot of work with scraper and blow torch.

john998

VOC Member
Hello, both my Vincent have Scott oilers, one has O ring chain and one cheep and cheerful. Even the standard chain on the outfit looks to be lasting longer, the O ring on the solo has not needed adjustment 17000 miles..
Chain grease just atracts dirt, with oil it stays much cleaner. John.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Hello, both my Vincent have Scott oilers, one has O ring chain and one cheep and cheerful. Even the standard chain on the outfit looks to be lasting longer, the O ring on the solo has not needed adjustment 17000 miles..
Chain grease just atracts dirt, with oil it stays much cleaner. John.
Agreed - grease does attract dirt. But then Chain WAX does not.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Some comments on chain lubrication.
Some Vincent models had a chain oiler built in with an adjustable feed from the oil return in the UFM. On my basket case, built to ride, not to show Rapide I fitted a Scott oiler. This was relatively easy to fit and needs little attention other than an occasional top up of the oil reservoir. The chain and sprockets seem to last well with the first chain and sprockets renewed after 20,000 miles and would probably have been OK for more miles. The replacements are approaching 20,000 miles also. During these miles the only thing I did to the chains was the occasional adjustment. The Scott oiler does need a vacuum feed to operate and I note that Peter Homes would prefer not to drill his manifold. An electrically operated oiler would require no manifold drilling. There is a bonus if you drill both your manifolds in that it is very easy to connect vacuum gauges to balance the carbs. With both vacuum and electrically operated oilers it is a moments job to increase the oil supply on wet rides. (That can happen quite often in the UK. ;))
Over the years on various motor cycles I have lubricated my chains by boiling in chain grease, spraying from a can with chain lube, dribbling oil from an oil can and automatic oilers. All these methods will lubricate and prolong chain life to a greater or lesser extent.
Call me lazy but for me, removing the chain, cleaning it and heating in lubricant is not my favourite job. Whatever method works best for the individual, a well lubricated chain wastes less power and gives a smoother transmission so whatever method you use don't forget your chain.

vibrac

VOC Member
Considering the value of my Yamaha Serrow trail bike (zilch) who wants to be stuck in a mud hole. I buy new a new chain every year its worth it.