Can anyone explain how the Firefly ignition works?

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Although… couldn’t you grab the the end of the coil between 2 jaws on a 4 jaw chuck and just use the other 2 jaws to steady it. Engage the back gears so it won’t launch itself. It would take longer to wind, but maybe save time with setup? Hard to say I guess, without seeing what the separated coils look like. By the way, best to avoid machining the Cerrobend itself due to the recipe….50% bismuth, 26.7% pb, 13.3% tin, and 10% cadmium by weight. To release the object from the Cerrobend, I just place it in a pot of hot water. Once the water cools, you can retrieve the Cerrobend. In your case you’d have to keep the water level below the windings as far as possible. Hope I’m not leading you astray here.
You can probably find a few uses for the stuff. There is also Cerrosafe which has a misleading name because it ain’t safe. It’s good for measuring things, but I haven’t tried it yet.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Use caution…. it’s a slippery slope. You may find yourself mounting things in woods metal just for sport. Things that you could just clamp in a vise and attack with a hacksaw. Best to keep it to yourself because folks will start to question your sanity.

I made a gear holder for Norton bevel gears… Also used it to hold and unscrew carb velocity stacks that are stuck. Tried using it for a mag bearing puller. Thought it would work because the metal is so dense, but it was a dismal failure. It can be used for dies and bucks for forming…although I tried using it for a die, and had limited success. Kept getting voids, which didn’t make any sense to me. The stuff flows like mercury and I warmed up the mold. Still learning.

billirwinnz

VOC Member
Use caution…. it’s a slippery slope. You may find yourself mounting things in woods metal just for sport. Things that you could just clamp in a vise and attack with a hacksaw. Best to keep it to yourself because folks will start to question your sanity.

I made a gear holder for Norton bevel gears… Also used it to hold and unscrew carb velocity stacks that are stuck. Tried using it for a mag bearing puller. Thought it would work because the metal is so dense, but it was a dismal failure. It can be used for dies and bucks for forming…although I tried using it for a die, and had limited success. Kept getting voids, which didn’t make any sense to me. The stuff flows like mercury and I warmed up the mold. Still learning.
Sounds like fun! I have to wait for it to arrive from eBay Holland as I couldn’t find any locally.

There’s no way I could grip the coil in a 4 jaw so I’m very grateful for your suggestion.

Cheers Bill

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Could you not leave them in pairs, so they would form an L, holding one parallel to the face of the chuck and then the other would be sticking straight out.

oexing

VOC Member
Bill, just an unqualified question from me: Did you check continuity for each of the four coils separately ? They are not high tension types I guess so resistance will be single digits and a rewind may be a home job. But somehow I got the idea that only opposing coils can be connected as south and northpoles from the flywheel pass coils and would cancel them out when producing positive and negative voltage as they go round. Seems opposing pairs look same and may have different windings, depending on their use for ignition or lights. So you just take voltage from opposing pairs and do a load test from a pair. Better do some more checks than start a tedious rewinding challenge. Just thinking . . .

Vic