E: Engine Camshaft oil feed holes

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
When you install those Oilite bushings, you can make a driver that is approximately .0003” larger than your desired running clearance. It’s a little tricky… I’ve never tried it with a cam bushing but tested it out on gearbox bushing. It works, but might take some experimenting to get the driver to the exact desired size, so might cost a couple of sacrificial bushings.

contact info for EDM guys is in your inbox.

Last edited:

Mike Davies

Forum User
VOC Member
When you install those Oilite bushings, you can make a driver that is approximately .0003” larger than your desired running clearance. It’s a little tricky… I’ve never tried it with a cam bushing but tested it out on gearbox bushing. It works, but might take some experimenting to get the driver to the exact desired size, so might cost a couple of sacrificial bushings.

contact info for EDM guys is in your inbox.
Not sure I get you? 3/10 thou" ?
You mean, as opposed to an expanding reamer that I would normally use?

Last edited:

Cyborg

VOC Member
Not sure I get you? 3/10 thou" ?
You mean, as opposed to an expanding reamer that I would normally use?
I wouldn’t use an expanding reamer. Turning them on a lathe with sharp cutter or one of the inserts recommended in the link would be better. I’m not the resident expert on bushings… or anything else for that matter.
I’ll dig out the info on making the installation tool. I don’t think it’s ever been mentioned on here or done that way. If you don’t have access to a lathe then ball sizing would be a better option. I have sized bushings using a soft lap and special lapping compound that doesn’t clog the pores in the Oilite …., but would be nervous about doing it with something as critical as a cam bushing.
I won’t bother going into further details here. If the thread drifts off into a discussion about tooling there is a good chance it will just get locked.

Did you see the PM regarding the EDM contact info?

oexing

VOC Member
Not so sure that I´d want to mess around with reground cams when Megacycle sells great new Mk 2 , holes and all, new gears pressed in too. I believe the cam profile may be optimised a bit over old types.
Oilite bushes with full oil supply looks a bit over the top , no ? I never had one of these in hand, as mostly I have to do specials on motorbikes so no use hunting for oilites . I wonder what ball sizing does to pores as opposed to reaming ?? Anyway, not my choice , I stick with CuSn8 , no phosphor definitely.
As to EDM, look for plastic injection mould tool companies. Spark eroding holes is an apprentice job, low cost if they are honest people.

Vic

Cyborg

VOC Member
I wonder what ball sizing does too, but it is mentioned in the link above and presumably Oilite themselves have studied the subject.

Elsewhere there is info on reaming which reads as follows:

“Oilite bearings may be reamed provided a dead- sharp cutting tool is used. However, reaming does destroy porosity more than single point tooling.”

Personally…. If I was going to use a reamer, I would order a new reamer made to the correct size.… but that’s just me and my growing disdain for expanding reamers.

I’ve mentioned this before somewhere…. the oil supply to the cams just isn’t that great, so Oilite would offer some extra insurance. Megacycle supplied cams with different bushings and some folks experienced failures. Was it the bushing material or insufficient clearance caused when the pinion was pressed on? Who knows….

vibrac

VOC Member
this covers some ground on the gears including needle rollers
blimey! 2013 and I remember it:eek: I guess the cycle time for thread subjects must be about 10 years (anyone for a breather discussion :D ?)
no doubt about it ... its on here and its been said before:)

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I know it's wrong to reamer oilite, But I do ,
Also use an expanding one,
I like to put the handle end in first, With a bit of hose, Which is just the right size to keep the tool square.
Just my thoughts, Bill.