ET: Engine (Twin) CAM TO CAM WHEEL POSITION

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I don't think I have looked at cam wheel markings in years with the 4 degrees before TDC method you don't need them and the 'slot' in the cam face between the pushrod holes is the way to get things within a few degrees when setting up.

Last edited by a moderator:

ClassicBiker

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I followed Vibrac's 4-6 degrees BTDC method when I replaced my cams and followers two years ago. Could not have been simpler. It fired and idled on the third kick. I had what I considered the added benefit or my cams and pinions be separated as I bought all new from the club. So I was to work things around to actually make the marks align, so if I ever have to pull down the timing chest putting it back will be quick and easy. I did make myself a tool so I could hold the cam against the valve spring pressure.
100_2948.JPG

The hole in the center fits over the thread on the cam spindle and the turned down section is 0.001" under size for cam pinion. Warmed up the pinions in a toaster oven and started them on the cams with a raw hide mallet and finished them in a press. My small arbor press wasn't up to the job :( but my press that uses a 20 ton bottle jack didn't have any problem. :)
Steven