Burnt Valve

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I think it is a faulty valve, too. Steve Hamel has the head now, so all should be well soon.

Alan J

VOC Member
Bruce, I've never seen a valve "burn" so suddenly as that! Perhaps something got "sucked in?" just athought!

bmetcalf

VOC Member
One wiseguy suggested the screwdriver in the pic got sucked in.

Since this was brought to light, I have heard it happened to a 60's Triumph and a '96 BMW twin. Steve Hamel has put a Terry Prince valve in and declared the guide OK. The piece of valve rim broke off when he was tapping the stem through the collar. The break was across a 1/8" square section! I was yards away from a lot more money to repair things!

I had the front exh valve out and it was in very good shape, so I just have to whip the heads back on and ride it.

I am convinced that the valve had a flaw and caused the failure, the colors of piston, plug, etc. all looked good.

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Another myth: high octane fuel in a Vincent is merely a waste of money. It does neither damage not good. It MAY put some lead on the seats. I've used the occasional tank of Avgas in the Vin, which made not a blind bit of difference either way. At 7.3:1 Avgas's anti-knock properties remained unused. I guess you had a duff valve. QUOTE=Bracker1;24901]Reference MPH 449, an article by J.Bradshaw with regards to too high fuel octane with low compression engines as well as the use of oils that allow "coke" build-up in the valve area. Or could just be a soft spot in the valve. Mine looked the same, and I had Steve Hamel put some fancy ones in. Good Luck, Dan[/QUOTE]

Bracker1

VOC Member
Steve H. knows what to do. I didn't realize he is was a celebrity until a fellow showed me his write-up in a book about dream garages. Nice article. My bike's value just went up. On the topic of burnt valves, if I remember right, P. Irving wrote about the ill affects of overtightening the head bolts and causing a cascade of engine damage including burnt valves. Go figure something as simple as tightening a bolt can cause so much trouble. Hope to see everyone at the International. Dan